NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Klatu, Verata, Nictum!
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, we're looking at an '02 Jetta Wagon and i wanted to solicit some opinions from the Jetta owners out there. How's your experience been, especially '02 owners. Had any major problems? Quirks? Bugs? Gripes?
The Jetta we're looking at has about 64k miles on it, they're asking $8995 for it, sound fair?
Thanks in advance, and cheers!

·
~Feel the Sting~
2,441 Posts
13Beetlejuice13 said:
Hey guys, we're looking at an '02 Jetta Wagon and i wanted to solicit some opinions from the Jetta owners out there. How's your experience been, especially '02 owners. Had any major problems? Quirks? Bugs? Gripes?
The Jetta we're looking at has about 64k miles on it, they're asking $8995 for it, sound fair?
My cousin and I have been dealing with his 2002 that he bought from a dealer locally. It had about the same miles, and for some odd, random reason, the transmission control module and the ECU both blew out at the same time. He had to pay about $1,000 in repairs.

But, other than that, the cars are decent. I owned a 2000 Jetta for a while, but I didn't like the entry & exit. (I'm a bigger guy). The Beetle offers HUGE amounts of room for the drivers, and decent room for shorter (or younger) passengers in the back.

Is the Jetta a 2.0, a 1.8T, or a TDI? (( or .. a VR6 ? )).

·
~Feel the Sting~
2,441 Posts
Also, beware of the cloth seats.. they have known issues with staining. And certain cleaning products will actually make some kind of growing stain / color change in the fabric. Had to deal with that with VW for 7 months. That was no fun. The seats looked like they were mildewing. They had funky black patches growing in them. They finally replaced the seats for me.

·
~Feel the Sting~
2,441 Posts
For a 2.0 5 speed.. 60K miles.. the price seems fair.

Some others to consider that I *think* are in your area....

They are an assortment of 1.8 turbo engines and VR6's... And I think a 2.0 thrown in. But they are different models, some are GLX's which are fully loaded, heated leather, etc. Take a peek :D

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=244852462

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=245358917

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=244792123

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=244294156

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p&car_id=243890944

·
2,646 Posts
13Beetlejuice13 said:
My wife has an '01 we bought new. It's at about 71K right now. The waterpump just went, the ABS module, warning light switch, cat, and 2 brakelight switches were replaced under warranty. Other than that it has been a good car--my wife loves it. I, on the other hand, don't care for the entry/exit and the too plush sloppy feeling handling compared to my TS, but it is a good little car. Oh, and the 2.0L engine in it consumes a little oil, but not enough to qualify for any warranty work.

·
Klatu, Verata, Nictum!
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So in doing a little research on my own, i came across not just one, but literally HUNDREDS of scathing complaints about the Jetta, and VW in general about significant water leakage after rain. Check this out:
Jetta Reviews

Has anyone else had these water problems? We've never had an issue in our NB, and believe me, it's seen it's share of rain around the Northeast. Thanks, and cheers.

·
Klatu, Verata, Nictum!
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh BTW, thanks for the links Evan, some of those are really nice, but with the two rugrats, we're looking for a wagon to carry their wagon and assorted gear. I like the rims on those first two alot, one of them is from the same dealer as the Jetta wagon we were looking at, i wonder if i can work a deal with them to change the wheels out on the wagon for those!

·
Klatu, Verata, Nictum!
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well we bought the Jetta and i gotta say, i LOVE it. Love the way it rides, the seats are ESPECIALLY comfortable, and being a wagon, it can still haul plenty of kid gear. I'm ordering some bi-xenons for it when i get home from vacation next week, already ordered a couple stickers for it, and i'm going to paint the calipers red when i get back from vacation as well. It's sharp, and only had 64k on it, not bad for an '02.

·
Air and Water
73 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I just noticed it and something just occured to me.
The Jetta is water cooled. Don't try to run it as air cooled even if the hoses are all in place and the oil level is good.

PUT SOME ANTIFREEZE IN THAT THING.:eek:hnoes:

·
Klatu, Verata, Nictum!
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have no idea how this thread wound up in the air-cooled forum, must've been a mistake when i first posted. =)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts