NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Im Just Me
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all;Well we had our first hard freeze with some snow last night anyway.When i went out this morning to go out the door's and door handle's were frozen.Is their anything i can put on the door's and handles to stop this??? I heard somewhere that if you wipe wd-40 on the rubber around the door's and spray the handles this will stop it is this true???? thank you all and have a great bug day :D:runnethov

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Smooth peanut butter on the seals. Trouble with the WD40 is, it doesn't stay too long. the peanut butter stays a few months :)

Door handles i don't know

:)

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Problem is that WD40 is not good for rubber. You should try
F21 Protectant by Turtle Wax. It is the best Rubber, vinyl, plastic conditioner and protectant that I have ever used.
Not sure if it will keep your door from freezing but it will protect the rubber and plastics and keeps them fresh and clean looking. If you do want to use a lube that doesn't eat rubber like WD40 will you may go to your local Autoparts store and get a quality silicone lube. Don't spray it directly onto the seal but on a clean rag and then wipe the rubber seals with it. It may help it from freezing.
Some people suggest to use PAM cooking spray but I think that would be a bit messy. I would give F21 a try and if that doesn't work use some High Quality Silicone Lube but never WD40.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Peanut butter? Really? I would not try that but a good silcone spray will work both on the door seals and door lock/handle.

You might want to put a little grape jelly with that peanut butter, i thinks the animals will like it better. :)

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Peanut butter? Really? I would not try that but a good silcone spray will work both on the door seals and door lock/handle.

You might want to put a little grape jelly with that peanut butter, i thinks the animals will like it better. :)
Especially in the winter time. Those racoons and Possoms will be all over your car :D
Just be sure to look under the hood prior to starting your car or you might have some Possum Stew with your Peanut butter and Jelly. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts

:roflmao:
Especially in the winter time. Those racoons and Possoms will be all over your car :D
Just be sure to look under the hood prior to starting your car or you might have some Possum Stew with your Peanut butter and Jelly. ;)
Dbl :roflmao:

And x100 on the WD40 thing. WD40 and automobile anythings don't mix. Most everything has the "proper" lubricant, and WD40 ain't one of them.

Snow, huh Matt? Gotta be better than lots of rain! (lol) Given the right conditions, rain, turning to freezing rain, turning to snow, I don't know of anything that is going to keep water from freezing unless it's heat. Maybe a cover or an old boating trick, a trouble light with about a 60W bulb, placed in the cabin (care in placement so as not to melt anything) should keep things just warm enough. Also more comfortable in the morning when you get in the car. A flat extension cord, should easily go under the door, over the rocker panel, and allow the door to close with no problem.

M.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts