NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to find out if this is a problem, or another case of poor VW engineering.

I suppose this is related to the window regulators. I have a 2005 NBC, and it drops the windows about 1/2 inch when you unlock from the remote. Very occasionally, the window will drop, but when you get in and close the door, it will not go up. The other symptom is that the auto-up feature does not work.

The "fix" I have discovered is: open all windows using the global window switch. Even after the windows are open, keep holding the button down for 10 seconds. Then close all the windows using the same switch, and hold it for 10 seconds again. Now the window will be fixed.

My question is, has anyone else experienced this problem? My concern is that the regulator will eventually fail. I'd like to see if this is a wide-spread problem.

Thanks.

·
Registered
125 Posts
apparently a widespread problem... ultimate fix is to replace the regulators. We had a similar problem with the windows either not dropping or not closing properly etc... eventually had the regulators replaced and no probs since

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Is the drop issue on the driver's door?

I had the same problem. What I was told, is that the window motor "thinks" the window is binding and goes into a limp mode. This then disables the auto-up and keeps the window from raising when the door is closed.

My dealer replaced the motor in the driver's window, and the issue is gone. ;)

-Des

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, it is the driver's door that is exhibiting this problem. It doesn't happen very often, and I'm able to "reset" it by using the global window switch.

However, it sounds like it's a known problem that I obviously want to get fixed. What did you all say to the dealer, or were you able to demonstrate? Right now the window is working fine, but I'd rather not have to wait until it happens again, and drive all the way to the dealer just to show them.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
I told them that when the door is closed, the window doesn't always come back up. That, and I would have to fiddle with it to get it functioning normally again. I didn't have to show them what the problem with it was. Motor ordered, installed, no more issue. :)

-Des

·
Registered
9 Posts
Me too

My 2005 had a problem with the passenger side window. It would go down smoothly, but coming up it would get to a point where it would stop, and then go back down all by itself. My dealer said that the railings were bent (???) and replaced them. They did the same thing to the driver's side window, even though it seemed OK. Had to wait several weeks for parts to come in. Haven't had a problem since, but I don't drive with the windows down very often. Here in Florida I use the A/C almost year round. :cool:

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Yes I have had that too!

My conversion to the 2005 window drop seems to be an ongoing issue. Occasionally, I have to take it in to have things adjusted.

I believe I have had 10 different regulator replacements. (gunnie pig for my dealership)

And they have no problem fixing it ever!:) I was also told from time to time the windows need to be adjusted.

Hope that helps.....

Also, if you hear a crunching/squeeking when the windows go up that also seems to be an indicator to have them looked at.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just can't believe that VW is having problems with this kind of stuff. C'mon, power windows and auto window drops have been around for YEARS. The only explanation I have is that they put in subpar parts, expecting that they will need repair once the warranty expires. I foresee that this car is going to be high maintenance post 50k miles... :mad:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Seemkay said:
My conversion to the 2005 window drop seems to be an ongoing issue. Occasionally, I have to take it in to have things adjusted.

I believe I have had 10 different regulator replacements. (gunnie pig for my dealership)

And they have no problem fixing it ever!:) I was also told from time to time the windows need to be adjusted.

Hope that helps.....

Also, if you hear a crunching/squeeking when the windows go up that also seems to be an indicator to have them looked at.
We also "had things adjusted" but the problem continued over and over. Replacement of the regulators fixed the problem and it has not returned. This fix was done over 12 months ago. I would press the dealership to change regulators.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts