1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two things...
1- doors lock on their own when humid/damp out
2 - radio doesn't turn off if keys are left in the ignition and car turned off

Anyone have any insight to either of these two problems? Would like to fix myself if possible.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
These may not be problems, but rather "features" of the car.

1 - Under what conditions will the doors lock on their own? They are supposed to automatically lock on their own if unlocked with the remote and a door is not opened within 30 seconds. This may also be true with the key as well, I'm not sure.

2 - The radio is supposed to stay on for 10 minutes after the ignition is turned off if a door is not opened. Opening a door should shut off the radio.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I recall on my 2003 if I turn the engine off, but do not remove the key from the ignition, the radio will play, however, as soon as I remove the key from the ignition the radio will shut down.

You can also turn the radio on when the key is not in the car. If the radio was left on when the car was turned off, you turn the radio off and then back on.

As for the door look, it could be a bad drivers door latch.

But again, you need to clarify when and under what conditions your door(s) lock.

The doors should also automatically lock once you hit a few miles an hour as well. Autolock when driving. If the autolock is intermittent, likely you need a door latch replaced. Usually the drivers, but cold be the passenger.

FYI, my 2003 convertible is on its 3rd latch in each door!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for not going into detail.

If it's raining when I'm driving and park, get out, shut the door - the doors will lock right away on their own. Also when ever I open the door to get in the car the interior lights never come on. But they do when I open the door to get out. Also at times when I unlock the door with keyfob pull handle to open door it will get hung up and I have to shut door and reopen it and it will open normal.

As for the radio staying on with the keys in the ignition - I have parked the car, turned it off, get out leaving keys in the ignition and shut the door. An hour later go back out in the garage and the radio is still on. Pull the keys out of the ignition and the radio turns off.

I'm thinking door switch is bad but unsure about the radio. I've other posts and thinking it wouldn't hurt to change it. Is this the same switch that was posted in the tdi group that I can buy from radio shack?

hope this makes sense....

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
You have the classic door latch symptoms. The radio should shut off when the door is opened if the latch is working properly. The problem is usually just the solder joints and not the actual switches. I had to do this to my driver's door latch myself. Here is a DIY link:

VWVortex.com - MKIV door locks explained - why you're having problems!!! :(

You'll need to remove the door panel. Do you have a manual that shows that?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Red! When the weather warms up I'm going to give this a shot. The links are very easy to follow so should be easy enough. Although I've never soldered before, I'm willing to give it a try. :) I don't have a manual for this bug...the only one published is a Bentley and right now I can't justify $130 for one. Luckily there are lots of DIY tips on here to get me though! :D

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
The soldering part is really easy. You will just need to reheat the solder that is already there and let it reflow around tabs on the switches.

It is amazing how much how-to stuff is on the web. I found this great video this morning on replacing the window regulator on a New Beetle:

How To Install Replace Broken Power Window Regulator Volkswagen Beetle 98-10 1AAuto.com - YouTube

The only difference is you'll be taking the latch out instead of the regulator. Taking the door apart is explained in great detail.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
My radio stays on wether I open door or not until I remove key from ignition. Thought that was how it was supposed to behave. Guess I'll need to look that up.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 10 of 10 Posts