NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This Friday I am going to pick up my first ever a new to me VW 2003 Convertible GLS 2.0L with the 6 speed Triptronic trans. Best part is this little guy has 59800 miles. From what I gather all the recalls have been addressed. CarFax says there was some structure damage before it hit 1000 miles and thats been taken care of.

Its at the dealer because during the demo of the top the sales guy broke the wing thing on the drives side that flips up then back down when the top is down. I havent sign papers yet, and Im wanting to know if there are any issues that might stop me from completing the deal. during the test drive it shifted fairly decent. manual shifting worked. But IIRC the PNRD had brackets around it. From what i gather this might be an issue? They are offering a 3Mo 3K warranty on the Trans and or Engine.

Engine sounded Smooth, no ticks, hissing or whining. Even during the test drive it was smooth.

If i go through with the process what other items would i want to replace right off the bat?

Thank you in advance for all your help, and I am Really looking forward to having a New Beetle sitting in my garage!

·
Wife's 01 1.8T mechanic
629 Posts
Two strikes:
- collision damage
- automatic trans

Third strike will probably be that the timing belt hasn't been done yet.

·
Registered
14,063 Posts
As noted above; why are you buying a car that has had "structural damage"; when there are so many fish in the sea, that haven't been wrecked? As a buyer; (you hold all the cards; you can buy or walk away), not the dealer and when you buy it, you own it and all of its potential long term problems. If you had to have this car; I would want it evaluated by a professional shop with a frame rack, that could confirm it structural integrity and even then, why are you buying a car that has been in a accident? I just don't get it!?! :confused: Why would you knowingly buy a damaged and then repaired car; what benefit is that to you?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Its at the dealer because during the demo of the top the sales guy broke the wing thing on the drives side that flips up then back down when the top is down. I havent sign papers yet, and Im wanting to know if there are any issues that might stop me from completing the deal. during the test drive it shifted fairly decent. manual shifting worked. But IIRC the PNRD had brackets around it. From what i gather this might be an issue? They are offering a 3Mo 3K warranty on the Trans and or Engine.
What kind of money are we talking about here?

Anything over about $4k and I would run with what you have stated.

The "[]" surround the PRNDL display is not "might" be a problem, it IS a problem.

Your are looking at about $1200-$1500 for valve body work assuming this is the ONLY problem.

NO WAY would I take this car they expect the warranty to address it. Who is under writing the warranty? What does it say about pre-existing conditions?

I would tell the dealer they will have to repair the transmission before I signed any paperwork, but they will likely loose money so these will not likely get the car repaired correctly.

Also timing belt, water pump, serpentine belt to the tun of about $700 will be needed very soon.

Take it from me, you DO NOT want a 2003 convertible, this was the first year and there were MANY window issues.

I would not want anything older than 2005 because they updated the window regulators and controls.

Additionally, I would not accept a car with out at least 2 working keyfobs. I could care less about the Valet key, its nice to have a 3rd key, but it seems these older cars always have only 1 keyfob or some locksmith made replacement key without any keyfobs.

If you purchase this car, expect to spend $4k+ plus in the first year assuming you totally loose out on the warranty coverage, which likely you will not get any coverage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts