NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 2002 Beetle Sport yesterday and I'm loving it. It's my first Beetle and my first turbo, so it's a lot of fun. However, I have some questions and I'm hoping someone here can enlighten me.

1) I know the Sport has 17'' alloy wheels, but does it have sport suspension?

2) I find that at high speeds, if I brake lightly the car will shake. If I brake harder, it's no problem. Is this supposed to happen or should I get my brakes checked?

3) What's a good RPM to shift at? The dealership said 2500, but that seems about 500 RPMs too low; i.e. around 3000 seems pretty good. My last car was a 1990 Mazda MX-6, so I'm still working out the shifting on the Beetle.

Lastly, how does the turbo work? I mean, I know *how* a turbo works, I'm wondering what makes it kick in? Is it high RPMs and pedal position or just high RPMs?

If anyone can help me with these, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

·
Auto X
46 Posts
Welcome to the org and to the NB family!!!

1) Yes, I belive it has the VW factory 'sport' springs, not positive though

2)Actually , I would get your wheels balanced first. That is the first thing I would check.

3) Do you want power or economy? Shifting at 2500, you are not even close to the powerband of the engine. For performance , you want to shift around 5500, for just cruising, around 3000-3500

It is the engine speed (rpms). Both controlled by the computer requesting a boost level and with the amount of exhaust gas needed to spool up the turbine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response! I have the 30 day dealer warranty as well as some of the factory warranty left so maybe I'll go this weekend and check out the tires.

Thanks for the info about shifting. I'll mess around with it on my drive home from work.

Again, thank you!

·
Registered
12 Posts
yazny said:
Thanks for the quick response! I have the 30 day dealer warranty as well as some of the factory warranty left so maybe I'll go this weekend and check out the tires.

Thanks for the info about shifting. I'll mess around with it on my drive home from work.

Again, thank you!
If the gas isn't all the way in and then some, you're not experiencing the full turbo experience. 4500-5500 RPM's is max boost zone.

Don't be too afraid to rev up the engine on occasion. The engine computer will cut off the fuel if you get too close to redline (rev limiter). The biggest risk is overreving during downshifting (aiming for 6th, and hitting 4th, then dumping the clutch). No rev limiter will save your valves from that, so shift careful.

If you have a 30 day warranty, I would work that engine a LOT to get it to throw some engine codes if anything is borderline. Make sure you check for codes even if a light on the dash does not light up.

Also, if you want more performance out of your turbo (30+ hp), get your car chipped. I'm actually about to get one here in LA, so if you're interested maybe we can work out a group buy.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Actually, the Sport suspension was not a factory item on the Sports. They came with the same suspension as any other 1.8t. The Sport suspension was listed as an accessory. It's very possible the dealer added it (and charged a bit extra for), but they did not all come with it.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts