NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased an 06 NB convertible and the armrest is busted. The dealer flat-out refused to fix it and was willing to lose the sale over it. I haven't taken delivery yet, but I've already started looking for a replacement. After spending the last 2 hours or so searching, mostly on this site, I'm still not quite sure what to do. I'm quickly discovering, as most of you already know, this is a very common issue.

I see some vendor on ebay called "Jumbo Depot" apparently out of Hong Kong that looks like they make knock-off armrests, but they don't seem to have any for an '06, they only go up to '04. Are they the same thing? What model year armrests will work with an 06?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Simon

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Macdave

Thanks for the reply Macdave.

I too have seen those on eBay, but that's definitely not the kind of armrest installed in my car. That looks like maybe the storage bin/cd changer style without the sides?

I have the flip-up style similar to (or the same as?) the one they're installing in this thread. I should have taken some pictures since taking delivery of the car, but it's in getting a few post-purchase issues with the top fixed today.

I wonder if perhaps the prior owner changed out the center console to get the better/more cup holders, and that's why I've having such trouble identifying a proper replacement.

Functionally the armrest seems fine, but the plastic if flaking off, perhaps I should just paint it instead of trying to locate a new one.

Simon

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
looks like maybe I need to scrub & paint?

So, I seem to have overreacted a bit initially. The dealer replaced the latch, and now the armrest is functionally OK. I would still like to replace or refinish the lower portion of it; As you can see in the attached pics the paint/rubber coating is pealing off.

I do see in this thread others have had this issue and figured out a DIY solution. I'm more interested in just replacing the part, but I'm not what part I need. If I'm unable to locate a part I may fall-back to the scrub & paint method.

I understand this may not be the original '06 NBC armrest, but one from another model/year NB.

Simon

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I understand this may not be the original '06 NBC armrest, but one from another model/year NB.
No, I think it is correct for the '06, it is exactly like the '08 in the '08 OM I have, I just don't know when they changed the design for sure. I would have thought with the body style change in '06. However, it is not the original to the car, it has been painted, from the looks of it in your pics. Probably a half a$$ job, using a used replacement, courtesy of some DIY PO. Hmm... never paid any attention to the consoles post '05, wonder where they put the 6 CD Changer.

If you haven't found one, there is a triple black '08, very low mileage, being parted. I guess, over on the Vortex, as I can't find it here.

Yep, what a great page that is on the ECS site, no pic, and no year in the Application Guide. What, one size fits all? Bet they have sold a bunch of those! I want one...

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts