NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've asked before about suspension upgrades and I now know what it is I am going to purchase as I've done loads of research toward struts and shocks. The only question I have is if I should also replace the mounts (and bearings for the front struts) while I'm at it. I have a friend that is a mechanic but is currently away on vacation so I can't quite ask him.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
14,052 Posts
If you want to do it correctly; most likely, all those parts are worn out. Check out this blauparts suspension kit; aside from the shocks/struts look at all the parts they include with the kit, all of the those parts are good things to replace "while your in there". You could probably cobble all these parts together or give them a call; they would probably sell you everything as a install kit, cheaper then if you bought everything separately. Give them a ring; they probably can get you what you need. Other vendors could probably do the same.

Vw Beetle Struts - Vw Beetle Shocks - Vw Beetle Strut Shock Kit

Front Strut Mounts
Front Strut Bearings
Front Strut Bump Stops
Front Strut Dust Boots
Front Suspension Strut Hardware Kit (Req'd for Proper Reassembly)

Rear Shock Mounts
Rear Shock Sleeves
Rear Bump Stops
Rear Suspension Shock Hardware Kit (Req'd for Proper Reassembly)
Anti-Seize Assembly Lubricant
Thread Locking Compound (Req'd for Proper Reassembly)

Good luck with the install! Let us know how it goes! :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool thanks! Though I might be buying some of those parts from different companies as I'm actually giving my suspension both a replacement and major upgrade so I guess expenses are something I'm not exactly looking to cut back on since my car is top priority. But none the less, thanks for the list of parts. I actually had not been told about the bump stops so I'll be sure to get a few of those. I'll be sure to let you know how it all worked out in the end. Might be a few weeks though as I order, wait, and finally install the parts.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I just recently installed the Blauparts strut kit and ECS front suspension with Ploy bushings and I am very happy with everything.

Vw Beetle Struts - Vw Beetle Shocks - Vw Beetle Strut Shock Kit

Volkswagen New Beetle 1.8T > Suspension > Refresh Kits > ES#259954 Suspension Refresh Kit - Stage 3 - 1J0498012

So for under $600 a pretty complete refresh and upgrade kit.

You may want to add the sway bar bushings and end links as well. While you are at it, only 6 more bolts!

Quickly shipped and very complete.

Major improvement in the ride and handling.

As for the front upper strut mounts, they should probably be replaced every 25k miles in my opinion. Any given I purchased the 2 kits above I now have spare upper strut bearings and bushings if I need to replace them again in the future.

The only 2 issues I would suggest is get lower control arm bolts from VW vs the ECS bolt. The ECS bolts did not have the inner shoulder like the VW bolts, this can make a slightly better alignment of the lower control arms. Also if you have an automatic transmission, be prepared to have a challenge getting the drivers side front control arm bolt out and back in. You will have to remove the battery, loosen the battery tray and unbolt the trans mount to raise the engine with a jack. I almost did not make it, but after a lot of special words and sweat, I just barely was able to get the bolt out and back in. The other option is you may need to pull the trans pan. A drain and refill on the trans may be worth while anyway.

Again, major improvement. My car had only 80k miles on it, but the front was pounding on rough roads and now with new struts, upper bushings and bearing, control arms and all other associated parts the car handles so much better. A bit tight overall, but not bad.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Hey guys, I've asked before about suspension upgrades and I now know what it is I am going to purchase as I've done loads of research toward struts and shocks. The only question I have is if I should also replace the mounts (and bearings for the front struts) while I'm at it. I have a friend that is a mechanic but is currently away on vacation so I can't quite ask him.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Mounts need to be replaced, don't forget new bolts and other hardware too, most are one time only, and even if they were not they're likely rusted to hell by now.

·
Registered
950 Posts
And those old mounts aren't even bad!

You should have seen the rubber pancakes I pulled off my car when I did my suspension in 2011. 13 year old mounts.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Mine are 10 years old, but only had 7 years of active road use. I can see how they can flatten out even more.

Yes the car sat for almost 3 years due to oil pick up being clogged up and the auto trans valve body trying to remove the transmission when downshifting, along with a bunch of other annoying issues.

But its going to do 6 states and 600 miles on Saturday!

I will have my OBDII tool with me, hopefully this will only be to make me feel better!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts