NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
ProRally Champ
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this thread on the old forum and thought I'd crank it up here along with some pics from the StudBug's only competitions this year ...

Rally-America SNO*DRIFT in January ...

Rally-America Rally in the 100 Acre Wood in February ...

·
beetle driver for life
1,151 Posts
Some shots of yelojkt getting some three wheel action on the autocross course.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,766 Posts
:( Poor Stud looks like he's seen better days.... :(

He is my all-time favorite New Beetle.

So nice to see you again, Mad Mike! :flowers:

·
ProRally Champ
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dnyed said:
:( Poor Stud looks like he's seen better days.... :(
We came out worse for the wear after a contretemps with a large, frozen dirt bank in Michigan that I hit rather than run over people who were in the way helping a WRX get back on the road. Apparently, more pics were taken of the car Saturday (after the hit) than Friday. Such is life ...

In-car of that minor smash-up is here - http://www.realautosport.com/pics/Beetle/SD2005/Wreck.mpg

Did I mention that EVERY codriver I've had this year (two, actually) are young ladies from the PNW? Oregon, to be specific ... but they both ROCKED!

dnyed said:
He is my all-time favorite New Beetle.
:toast: And you, darlin, are without a doubt my favorite StudBug rooter!

dnyed said:
So nice to see you again, Mad Mike! :flowers:
Good thing Croft sent an email or I might not have known ya'all moved!

·
ProRally Champ
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yelojkt said:
Some shots of yelojkt getting some three wheel action on the autocross course.
Wichita?!? Will you be at the SCCA's MiDiv convention in your town this November? I hear there will be a Solo II that weekend (nudge, nudge, wink, wink). I'll be there because I'm the RE for NEOkla Region.

I'd haul the StudBug up there if the SCCA was still involved in stage rallying ... :(

·
Registered
27 Posts
Solo II

here's me on 04 when i could still beat the mini coopers... the 2005's came out with a limited slip differential (long bitter story) tough year.

rumor has it that SCCA is moving the cooper "S" to D-stock, yes!

Attachments

·
Send Money
1,135 Posts
WOW> Great pics. Thanks for sharing.

I do have one question, though...

Why are there so darn many cones knocked down
in one of yelojkt's pictures?:D

·
beetle driver for life
1,151 Posts
newbee_tul said:
here's me on 04 when i could still beat the mini coopers... the 2005's came out with a limited slip differential (long bitter story) tough year.

rumor has it that SCCA is moving the cooper "S" to D-stock, yes!

Awesome photo newbee_tul. I would love to see you drive. What tires were you running to get that kind of grip. I run in STX because I run my beetle with Kuhma MX 235's for the look of having my fenders full of tire. I know I could run faster times with smaller stickier tires, but as it stands right now I can only afford two sets of tires my summer high performance/race tires and my winter set on my stock rims.

·
Everett Street in May
3,205 Posts
Hey Mike, thanks for linking back to this thread. It look's like we (Motorsports) got buried in the "new Org order":( ..

Oh well, at least I did find it..:bigthumb:

Great pics and that in car shot was a wild one. Bottom line is know one was hurt, and that is due directly to your driving skills buddy..

Glad their is a spot for this still here, I will pull over a few other Motorsports threads later today.

Peace......TechnoTrix'd...:wave3:

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
1.8t's are D-stock aren't they? I can't believe they had mini's lower than D to begin with.

Doesn't matter to me terribly much; I run SM and get stomped in my class each and every time. :) But I have fun w/it so whatever. If I get each time to be faster than the last; I'm happy.

Now though; now that I have the new suspension, I really can't wait to see how it acts in comparison.

·
ProRally Champ
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
TechnoTrix'd said:
Hey Mike, thanks for linking back to this thread. It look's like we (Motorsports) got buried in the "new Org order":( ..

Oh well, at least I did find it..:bigthumb:
Croft's email alerted me to the forum change and then it took a little searching to find this forum - but at least it's not gone ...

TechnoTrix'd said:
Great pics and that in car shot was a wild one. Bottom line is know one was hurt, and that is due directly to your driving skills buddy..
Thanks! But I'm pretty sure it was instinctive - most any other move would have found me hitting that REX, at least, or people, at worst. I'd certainly rather DNF than hurt anyone.

TechnoTrix'd said:
Glad their is a spot for this still here, I will pull over a few other Motorsports threads later today.

Peace......TechnoTrix'd...:wave3:
Cool - thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
kumhos...

hey yelojkt,

the "flavor" of the year is a V710 by Kumho, tests done at an event (by better drivers than me) :) showed that these tires beat out the favorite, Hoosier, by a full second. That's a big deal when tenths and thousandths (lispth) determine the winner... but you HAVE to keep 'em cool, as shown by my times here:

http://rmsolo.org/msp_eventpts.php?rep=1_20051002SS

got a little hot and greasy

noR,

the turbo (any 1.8turbo, save the TT) has been in GS for ever, however the r32 is in D stock. (GREAT car to watch race) these G stock guys woulda hung me if i tried to sandbag. :D - i'm thinking of modding up to SM, same story here, full on "trailer-queen" race cars dominate Street Mod here too. But I race the car that I love, I don't buy a different car each year just cause it does well. ahem mini cooper S :rolleyes:

note:
the grooves cut into the "tread" is what makes these tires D.O.T. street legal, makes me laugh every time i think about that.

Attachments

·
beetle driver for life
1,151 Posts
I would love to run V710 but do not have the cash flow. These pictures are from 10 02 05 Wichita Greyhound Park. Very dirty, the wind was out of the south at about 20mph. While working the course, each time a car would go by you could feel sand blowing against your skin.

My times...all times were clean(no cones)with one rerun due to a pointer cone that had blown up from a lying down position.

1. 61.691
2. 61.186
3. 60.435
4. 58.470
5. 58.491

I was runnig on empty (low fuel warning went off a couple of times)and removed my spare and tool kit. Stock 1.8T with K&N drop-in filter and a borla cat-back exhaust. Maybe 145hp at the wheel. GVW sticker on door frame says 3837 pounds.

Attachments

·
beetle driver for life
1,151 Posts
Just to give you some commparrison figures the GTI below was driven by a driver with five years running autocross(although he has not soloed in a couple of years), it had a thunderbird supercharger and the builders said it was getting about 190-200 WHP, the car was stripped and wieghed in under 2000 pounds. His best run was 55.509, beating my time by about 3 seconds.

Attachments

·
Everett Street in May
3,205 Posts
Great post's guys'!!!! I feel like a complete dud this year, as I have not been able to run any events since July...:eek:

We have a couple of Sunday's left, and I may try and make at least one more. Just ran out of time/time/time oh and money this year.

Nice to know that the v710 is the choice of tire this year, I'll have to keep an eye out next month when the "sponsored" teams dump their extra stuff from this year.

BTW, I run in DSP, so moving the coopers over to D stock is not necessarily the greatest news for me.

Thanks for posting the pics though, wonderful to see some dubber's giving those cones some heck...:wink:

TechnoTrix'd...:wave3:

·
Everett Street in May
3,205 Posts
Khumo vs. Hoosier vs Faulken's

So, for the auto'x circuit, sounds like the V710 has the grip factor going for it this year. Yelojkt mentioned that they need to "keep cool" though, so race fan's, for road courses or Solo I racing, would these Khumo's still be the best tire?

Just curious if the paddock scuttle-butt has gleemed any info on this point. I try to focus my car mod's and racing improvements for road courses and not necessarily auto-x'ing. I like to auto-x, but if I have to make a change, I go with the one that help's me on the track and not a course.

Example is putting on a large downpipe with a high-flow cat, which is great for top end, but kill's my launches in auto-x'ing.

So far, the Hoosier and Faulken's seem to be the favorites at road events, but does Khumo make a 205/215/225 45/50 16 tire that has the heat resistance characteristics for road racing?

Thanks.....TechnoTrix'd...:wave3:

·
beetle driver for life
1,151 Posts
TechnoTrix'd said:
Yelojkt mentioned that they need to "keep cool" though,
No that was not me talking about the V710s that was newbee_tul. I run Kuhma Escta MXs.

·
Everett Street in May
3,205 Posts
yelojkt said:
No that was not me talking about the V710s that was newbee_tul. I run Kuhma Escta MXs.
:drevil: yes it was, my bad....

·
beetle driver for life
1,151 Posts
10-23-05 Strother Field, Wichita KS
My times...
1. 56.583+1
2. 55.635
3. 53.051
4. 57.663/spin
5. 51.853

No photographer on this course so here is one from two weeks ago...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 44 Posts