VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

I bought a used 2003 2.0 Auto transmission beetle for my daughter
Last weekend and when I got it home realized the 14 pin connector on the FCM was not connected. After connecting it again, the fans will not shut off after turning the car off and pulling the key.

I went ahead and replaced the FCM with one from Amazon and also ordered an OEM one also. The new FCM did the same thing. I realize it could be the aftermarket OEM, but will not know until a few more days.

So I replaced the green sensor in the coolant line which changed nothing. Replaced both fans which changed nothing. Tried pulling the triangular
plug on the bottom driver's side radiator are which changed nothing. Disconnected the AC switch on the AC pump which changed nothing.

I have a thermo switch on the way also but after reading the posts and looking, I am not sure the 2.0 had these. AIso I am not finding it. I also assume there is no relay seeing as it has an FCM.

I am at a bit of a loss. The only way I can get the fans to stop after shutdown is pull the infamous left green fuse or disconnect the 14 pin connector on the FCM.

I need some help please.

Thanks D

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Next up in the way of checking would be the fuse block on top of the battery. Where the "left green fuse" is, those blocks are prone to melting. I would disassemble yours and clean all the connections and see if you have any melting problems. I guess you know now why the 14 pin connector was unhooked.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ordered a new fuse block which should be here in the next few days. I did clean the existing one, but it was missing the cover so that's why I ordered another. I did not see any visual signs of any melting, but replacing things one by one anyway.

So even though I have to pull that fuse to get the fans to stop, it could still be an issue?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: Replaced Both Fans, Thermo Switch, OEM FCM Module. Fuse 16 was actually blown after installing the generic FCM module. Everything seems to be working for the time being. Thanks for all the tips.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I needed to replace the fans anyway, because the were wobbling a little. After taking them out I realized how bad they were. The green Thermo module was ok I think. The generic FCM would blow fuse 16. I went back and forth to verify. It was not blown before, because it was unplugged originally. She has driven about 100 miles with no issues so I am going with that.

·
Registered
18,175 Posts
Great follow up info; it is hard to know, what the problem was but aftermarket parts, have a long history of causing problems, in this case the fan control module. Thanks again; good to close out discussions with a verified fix.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts