VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. the rad fan on my 2001 NB 2.0 does not automatically turn on. Not looking to take this to the dealership as them guys always try to screw me out of my money.
The only way for me to use the car without overheating is by turning on the AC to get both fans working. Anybody else encountered this and had a fix? any problem areas to check out? thanks guys for the help

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
temp. sensor

check your temperature sensor mounted on the coolant flange and the thermo switch mounted on the radiator itself(bottom left corner).If none of those turn the fans on check the FCM module mounted under the battery. Also Double check the three green fuses mounted on the battery fuse box for continuity.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,417 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
check your temperature sensor mounted on the coolant flange and the thermo switch mounted on the radiator itself(bottom left corner).If none of those turn the fans on check the FCM module mounted under the battery. Also Double check the three green fuses mounted on the battery fuse box for continuity.
Esse10. Have you ever actually looked at the wiring schematic for the FCM module and seen just how complicated they decided to make it?? An over zealous engineer if you ask me.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Esse10. Have you ever actually looked at the wiring schematic for the FCM module and seen just how complicated they decided to make it?? An over zealous engineer if you ask me.
In my opinion, that's just German engineering (everything more complicated than it really needs to be).

·
Registered
70 Posts
In my opinion, that's just German engineering (everything more complicated than it really needs to be).
Well I certaintly won't argue with that and I agree that most things are over complicated. I'm all for innovation and trying to make things better but not at the expense of reliability. I'm more old school. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Kinda like glass headlights. Can't say I ever remember seeing any glass headlights that would haze over like these crummy plastic ones. Headlights were made of glass almost from the inception of the headlight. And they worked great for many years. Then someone decided to fix them. And now you have millions of vehicles on the road that are serious safety hazards due to poor night visibility.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
nope

Actually no I have not been able to find the internal schematic for the fan control module itself, nobody seems to have that. I agree VW makes their cars more complicated than everybody else.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts