NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My radiator fan's Lo speed is not working for both fans. I tested the cables at the fan connector with ohmmeter and the Lo speed circuit is open circuited no result(no value), whereas the Hi speed circuit is ok.I know I will be replacing both fans soon, for the time being is it possible to interchange the cables between the hi speed and lo speed at the fan connector, so that the Hi speed will take over at the Lo speed position. Under this condition the fan will always run at Hi speed when the fan thermal switch hits the lower temperature setting.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Here is the reply I left in the other thread you posted to

btb hasn't been on here since March (this is a five year old thread). I'm going to have to discect what you've written and see what it is you're wanting to do exactly. Are you not wanting to fix the problem? The correct diagnostics for the fans are late in this attachment.

Bentley Cooling System Diagnostics
http://newbeetle.org/forums/2-0-liter-gas/52013-overheating-problem.html#post753256

Sometimes, when I try to open up a link to something I have posted, it opens up corrupted. Somebody p/m me if this link doesn't work. Please. And send me the link to this thread, so I know which .pdf it is that's not opening. Thanks,

M.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I managed to change both fans and all is working fine now. With the A/C switch on, both fans will run at lo speed again and once in a while the hi speed will come in probably due high A/C pressure. Without the A/C on the lo speed fan will come in around in 94 C and cut off around 91 C. The hi speed never came cos the coolant temp never go beyond 97 C.

Today I encountered another problem with NO A/C, my temperature went up to 105 C but the fan don't come in like yesterday. At this point of time I switch on the A/C switch then the hi speed fans come in and the temperature went down follow by the fan running lo speed non stop. Just to satisfied my self I run the engine at idle a couple of times just to see the operation of the fans. Out of 10 cycles sometimes the fans will come in sometimes they don't . At one point when the temp has reached 105 C (but no red light on dash) I went over under the car and disconnect the thermal switch at the radiator, jump 1-2 the lo speed comes in.jump 2-3 hi speed comes in. Could it be that thermal switch is bad?. Need second opinion on this.thank you

I am thinking of doing modification on the fan circuit just as backup in future. With 2 extra 12 volt DC relays I intend to isolate the hi speed circuit from FCM thru fuse and connect it to a separate 12 volt source. One manual switch is needed inside the car to activate the circuit. I have installed a temp gauge (DIY) on the dash so it is easier to monitor the coolant temp. When the switch is not on manually the system will function normally.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts