NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Im sorry folks, I've searched with every phrase i could think of and i just cant find an answer... So the SEARCH! feature is broken, it doesnt look for what i type in and instead gives me everything i dont want....

Im changeing out my radiator support soon as im missing about a foot on the bottom and my radiator took a hit and seems to be on its last few miles... My question is...

Can i use a golf radiator or Jetta radiator in my beetle 1.8t APH motor... Ive looked at the photos and they seem to be the same.. Reason i want to do this is because there are several Upgrade "Aluminum" Radiators for the Golfs and jettas, there seems to be 0 that i can find for the beetle or atleast 0 of good name brands, Valeo,Mishimoto blah blah blah.. SO if anyone can help with this itd be great... Thanks...

UPDATE!!! 3/11/15
So ill begin by saying that this is my first attempt to explain at how to do something
so bare with me please.. Feel free to correct me on anything or what not...

Disclaimer!!!
I am in no way what so ever responsible for, nor incouraging you to do anything to YOUR
car. This is something I decided to do for my self and it is not intended as instructions
more liike helpfull insight on what you may run into if you wish
to do the same thing...

Since my car was in an accident and the shop that fixed it half assed the body work/install.
I will not explain how to remove the headlight,fenders or bumper assemblys. Mine do not
have the proper screws and bolts so if i were to i may be giving you incorrect info...
Use the search feature to find bumper/headlight removal... As youll see in the following
my bumper comes off without removing the fenders..."Again cause the shop half assed..."

This is how I installed an all aluminum MK4 Golf radiator after searching for months and
not finding sources for one that fits my Beetle...

I Purchased the MK4 Golf aluminum radiator off ECS...
It looks great, welds seem really tight and fluid, really solid looking piece...

I also purchased all related flanges, gaskets, hoses "needed since most of mine had cracks"
expanded and leaked...Flanges changed between engine codes so make sure you get the ones
for your application...
if you can get yourself an ac condensor compressor to condenser line and fan assembly off a golf from a junker this would be
Alot easier and you wont have to modify your fan assembly and condensor will bolt up completely..

I Found an OBX Silicone hose kit for my 1.8t Vw MK4 Newbeetle on Ebay.
the upper hoses need about half an inch trimed off each side so they all fit in place again
but other then that it was dead on...

so... once i removed the bumper and or fenders ....
i removed the circled bolts holding the crashbar to the car... this is heavy so be carefull...

i put it to the side with the bumper...

Then i removed the circled screws along with the hinge cable "not shown"...
once these came out the core support was loose and basicly can fall off...

Then unpluged the sensor and removed the hoses.. I found it easier to remove
the hose with hose clamps instead of the flanges from the radiator.. I did the same for
the lower hose as well. Also disconnected the Fan harness and sensor which are right above the lower
radiator hose...

then i removed the four screws holding the radiator to the core...
2 on each side

disconnected the plug and removed the two screws holding the auxilary water pump to the fan assembly..

at this point the core was completely off the car now...

I removed the A/c condensor mounting screws to the radiator ... 5 total...
2 on each side visible and one on the bottom right under the radiator. "Sneaky"

after double and triple checking everything i was able to remvoe the old radiator

my old radiator with fan assembly removed.. and the new one underneath for size difference

here you can see what i did to mount the fan assembly to the new radiator...
i also had to trim the top and bottom of the cover so that it doesnt hit the radiator fins...

Heres where the modifications came into play...
you can see one radiator mount falls right into its place of the core support...
this is how i saw what i needed to trim/cut..Always remember less is more...
dont remove more then needed..

the bottom

dremeled the lower right side mount slider?

the lower left needed some more work

Top left

to gain a bit more Clarence i made space for the tank ends on the upper part of the core support

you can see here where it was hiting... the upper right side...

Not pictured!!! i put the mounts on the radiator once fitment was done and made new
holes for the radiator mounts to be secured in place... i used a smaller drill bit then
the actual screws..the top left mount your going to need some sort of spacer about an inch
and a bolt thatll securely go into the radiator mount long enough.. I used a tv wall mount
spacer i had and bolt.. worked fine...

fitment done...

here you can see how the beetle condensor mounts... which is why i said the Golf
condensor would be an easier/perfect option... also you'll need the golf ac line from condenser to compressor since the mounting is upside down on the condenser.

install the core support the same way you removed it along with everything else from this point..
here you can see what i removed to make more room for the end tanks in Blue circles..
the yellow circle is the bolt that needed the spacer and custom hole along with the red
circles for the custom holes. the green circles are where the original radiator mounts bolt..

Incase your not aware of the beetles very poor cooling here you can clearly see the ONLY! area that
actually gets any kind of cooling or exposure...

everything mounted back on and in place...

Does this work YES!!! My Fans do not kick on as much as they use to so i believe it is cooling
a hell of a lot better... so thanks and enjoy...

·
Registered
950 Posts
I'd be careful on this. While the engine is generally the same on the Mk4 platforms the components around the engine, especially in the rounded off Beetle, are often different.

The OEM part number for the radiator in the 1.8T beetle and the 1.8T in the Golf are not the same.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alrighty then!!!! Since I can not find any info on this... I've decided to try it being I need a radiator anyway I opted for the mission of a golf mishimoto all aluminum radiator.. The measurements are actually very very close most biggest difference was the height by about 1/2 inch to an inch... So its possible.. Mounting points are off from looking at measurements and diagrams but that's not much trouble I assume.. Anyhow ill be tackling that this weekend.. And ill be taking pics... If interested.. Keep watching...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome thanks, got the radiator in but haven't got my hoses yet. Decided id give the obx hose kit a try and keep my original hose around just incase, but most my original hoses are dry rotted and swollen anyway so new hoses are new hoses either way. I have that same exact leak from that thread..might order any aluminum flanges I can too to avoid future problems with cracking plastic. I'll post pictures when everything is ready...

·
Registered
488 Posts
it vexed me for months because it was just out of sight enough to lead you to think it was the upper coupler or the o-ring. A few months after the repair my stepson cartwheeled that bug in a farmers field. I'm not sure I can reuse the radiator - killed the fan assembly for sure. Rad is intact but twisted. I'll re pressure test when the weather warms up. Not a whole lot I can save from that mess. I had to actually cut the seats from the floor to get at anything inside. ( Son is fine , broke his wrist is all )

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Any luck with the search for a all aluminum radiator? I've looked around and haven't really found anything myself. Planning on replacing all the plastic pieces in the cooling system this spring and would love to go with a non plastic tank radiator. Just had to put a heater core in my car which was none to fun and I figure the rest of the plastic can't be to far behind.

·
Registered
14,080 Posts
Quick Google shows number of vendors; that will custom make you radiator for your specific application. Maybe given a call and see what they can do for you?

https://www.google.com/search?q=performance+aluminum+radiators&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

Griffin and fluidyne well make one to your specification:

http://www.griffinrad.com/

http://www.griffinrad.com/PDFs/customTemplate.pdf

http://www.fluidyne.com/high-performance-radiators.html

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

These guys look interesting; they offer different options and types of custom made to your spec radiators.

What core type is right for you?
Standard Core (OE Style)
High Efficiency (Copper/Brass)
High Efficiency (Aluminum)
Optima
Tripleflow Option

http://www.coolcraft.com/?source=google&gclid=CKyx79a09sMCFciBfgodKZQAGQ

Please let us know; what these companies offer you, if you contact them! Thx! ?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm going to be attempting the golf mishimoto aluminum radiator on my bug... The measurements arnt that off from ours, the mounting is in different area but the core can be redrilled to mount the radiator mounts so I'm assuming ill have to customize my core a bit but I believe that for the life span and better cooling its worth it.. Just haven't had a nice long day to jump into it and I've replaced some coolant hose with the obx radiator hose kit for the aph and found that some flanges and gaskets didn't wanna come out so had to order a few things wich cam in yesterday so hopefully I can tackle all this later today or tomorrow weather permitting... Gloomy here in Miami.. I'll be taking pics and trying to hopefully do a small DIY for those that really want an aluminum radiator..

Custom made radiators are sweet but what's the cost? I've tried having someone do custom things they've all told me prices way over what's already out there. I've tried for fiberglass parts,aluminum parts... Just not worth paying $1,200 for a fiberglass hatch when the golf hatch costs $4-600 bucks..
Not worth paying $4-500 for custom aluminum flanges...
Then most companies want more than 10 orders to even consider a prototype..

I've com to realize that the beetle has never been a tuners or performance looked at car so no one cares to do many parts for it like all the other cars. Also golf parts are closest to our engines you'll just need to tweak something here and there..

·
Registered
14,080 Posts
Hey, Looking forward to the diy; also, let us know how the obx silicone hose kit works out. Silicone hose kilts; specific to the new beetle that are affordable, also seem somewhat hard to find. Then there is the question of certain engine codes; being slightly different. I've seen some cheap Chinese golf/Jetta/beetle kits but wondered about quality and figment issues. Thanks! :(:)

I,ve never contacted any of those vendors but from what they are saying; they use commonly made cores and add whatever else, is needed them to your needs. The Mark IV platform; does seem to be very close in parts interchangeability, a Golf would seem to be closest variant.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can tell you the obx hoses seem really decent, I count up to 5 layers and see its reinforced with nylon threading or interweaving which I believe helps reduce expansion of the hose. Fitment is good but I did need to cut about an inch total from the ends. Curvature is dead on if I may say so... This is only the top ones that I did cause I had nasty leaks there so couldn't put that off any longer. The part number for the hoses I changed are 1C0122101T. Im sure if i hade the golf kit the other hose besides the main radiator ones would fit, but thats $160++ im not willing to spend for a few hoses..

I've wanted to take care of this sooner but every weekend something comes up!! Ugh.. Last weekend it rained so screwed lets see this weekend.. I've started toping off with denatured water to eliminate the nasty faucet eater I've been using...

On another note.. I've spoken with Scott William of usrt about some aluminum flanges for our cars being that most are for the golf and Jetta... He says if he gets more then 10 prepurchases he can produce them...

·
Registered
14,080 Posts
Well, if he can give us a eta and a ball park price; can we start a group buy?

The thermostat flange; for the 1.8T is being produced by 034; for $100:

Metal Thermostat Housing, Audi/Volkswagen 06A 1.8T Transverse, Aluminum - 034Motorsport | Performance Parts for Audi, Porsche, and Volkswagen

a cheaper alternative; just popped up, that I hadn't seen before, @ $35 it might be worth a try!:

VOTEX - (Audi TT) - (Volkswagen Beetle, Golf, Jetta) - ALUMINUM Water Coolant Flange - Part Number 06A-121-121C

http://www.amazon.com/VOTEX-Volkswa...CZ4Y/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=A30A036E461J8Q

Gruvenparts; is selling this one but for my car/engine code (AWP 1.8T), it needs some extra connections, that this one doesn't have. They said that they could make one but it would end up being over $200; which I think, is too much.

1.8T MKIV Billet Coolant Head Flange - Gruven Parts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Ive seen all of those and I'm sure for the 2002 + crowd they're great but the aph beetles have different flanges.. the one that bolts to the head has an extra hose and the one from the radiator to that one has a sensor hole..

So I manage to get everything done today... i went shirtless and it was a mistake... my back is as red as a tomato... anyhow.. like I said, it is about an inch or two bigger.. only one of the mounts was dead on, the other three had to be worked into the support.. ill have to go through all the pics and highlite things, bolts, etch..etc.. but all in all it was an experience...

Now that I've done it.. do I think it was worth it.. well..

My radiator was bad... and since I plan to keep this car and like the performance and better cooling an aluminum radiator has to offer.. yes...

What would I do differently..

I think it would've been a lot easier to get a second hand radiator shroud and or fans from a golf at a local Junker.. instead of having to modify your factory one.. also the ac condenser from a golf would be great as well..for best results I did order all the gaskets and flanges related to this project aaand they came in super handy since two of my old flanges broke..

The stock beetle condenser mounts by only two screws instead of four so you still bolt it up, it wont be loose.. hoses mount exactly the same no issues there..

Before I do the DIY... my car was backed into a while back... the shop that did the repairs did an insanely crappy ass job at everything so my nuts and bolts and screws my differ from others... my bumper mounting bolts weren't the stock ones... so bare in mind that bit of info..

So ill get to work on the diy with parts and pics... see you all soon...

·
Registered
14,080 Posts
Hey, any updates; a couple of months out; from the initial install? How are you temps going and any issues, post install? Inquiring minds want to know! This has to be a great upgrade; for the hot summer months, this year! :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No issues whatsoever I thought I may have an issue with the mounting but so far everything is perfect... I haven't hit the radiator on the bottom, no leaks and best of all my ac is somehow a bit colder...i use to have it at 3 all the time now I have to set it at 1-2 . 2 during the day 1 during night.. I wish someone could give me a temp readout of their car with stock radiator after a good 20 minutes or so to compare temps with the aluminum one I got.. Alos the obx hose haven't given me anyissues and they haven't lost their color but I haven't washed the engine yet so may change after that.. I honestly think if someone needs to change their radiator and is willing to do it. Get the aluminum radiator and ac condenser for a golf..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts