VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang,
I just got this 2000 NB (2.0 manual) a couple of weeks ago and I've been reading this forum quite a bit.
Y'all seem like a nice group.:)

I was told by the PO that the battery had discharged and after charging, the radio won't work.
I've checked the fuses, but I don't see one (in the drivers' end of the dash) that's marked for radio.
I've noticed the ambient air temp monitor in the display next to the overhead clock, is a series of four dashes and the Celsius "C".
I've been able to set the clock time, but nothing changes the temp monitor.

I vaguely recall reading something about a connection a while back that gave a possible answer to what's up, but I can't remember where it was.

Any suggestions? It's a stock VW radio/cassette and i have no code, but it won't even power up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Joseph R

I have the same Beetle & radio.
My battery was completely discharged, then jump started by AAA. After it was charged up, the radio says "FM 88.3". I pushed all the buttons and also entered the 4-digit code but it does not change. The temperature indicator was on Celcius but I changed it to Farenheit.
A dealer's service manager looked at it but could not fix it. He said they would have to put it on their scanner and reboot it. I'm looking for a way to avoid this.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I've heard there may be a fuse on the back of the radio. I don't really remember from when I had mine out. If the release mechanism works right it is not too hard to remove the radio.

The --- display for temperature means that the sensor is disconnected or missing. It is located near the driver side fog light. You can see it by looking up under the front of the car.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts