VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I'm having some problems with my 99 nb. I Installed my amp into my car a while back, and ran the remote line out of the back of the head unit through one of the ignition activated power sources. My system was working fine, but then about 3 months ago, it stopped turning on the amp, and the head unit(stock) does not turn off when I exit the car w the key removed. I have to turn it off manually, and turn it on when I start my car as well. So after some suggestions, I replaced my ignition switch, which was easy enough, prob took 15 minutes, and got it rather cheap (20 bucks), so not the end of the world--but it didn't fix the problem. All of the other accesories work fine, lights, signals, wipers, door lights, open door lights, etc. A couple weeks ago, in an attempt to see if we could run a remote from the ignition system, I contacted my local sound shop and they informed me that the black and red(the only wire that looks close to that to me is black/orangish) wire is the wire I want for my remote line. CAn you tell me if this is the right wire, and what needs to be fixed to get my radio to turn off when I exit the car like it did from the factory? Any pointers would rock. Did I splice into the right wire? It was black/orangish, and was the wire on the top of the harness.

Thanks in advance, justin

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Is there a way to make the amp turn on w/out replacing the head unit if necessary? Which wire is correct?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My question is, if this is the right wire, how come my amp isn't turning on then? I checked the voltage on the ground/power supply, and they were fine, is there a way to check the remote line? What should I do to test to make sure that the remote line is intact, and doing what it needs to do?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tis a bit frustrating to have 400 dollars worth of stereo equipment just filling my trunk space.

·
Audiophile
74 Posts
get the headunit problem fixed first, then we can go from there and see if that isn't a problem thats being caused by something else

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But I'd like to know if someone has had this experience, as I don't just want to replace the head unit for the fun of it. I want to know what the problem is, so I can fix it.
Thanks
jd

·
big poster turned lurker.
2003 Turbo S
9,499 Posts
there is a solution.

The back of the stock hu has an aux amp output block on it. And there is a Blaupunkt wire you can buy that will plug directly into it. And it will give you front and rear line level output AND a remote turn on lead.

I dont have much time to research for the wire itself, and the wire will not give you output if you have a monsoon deck, but here's where it connects to. Pin 6 is the remote turn on lead.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Preston said:
who said you had to replace it? just hook up the dimmer wire
Dimmer wire? Is that the red/orangish? I'm already hooked up to it and it's not working. As for the HU, I had it hooked up to that before, but since it started doing this not turning off crap, it won't turn my amp off, so it goes into safe mode and then you cant get it to turn back on when hooked up that way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts