·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 questions.
Were do you put the Radio Code in at?
please give the steps in this.

Were can I find the code?

My daughter at Miss State called her battery went dead. I had a fellow put a new battery in and gauges and Radio/CD would not work.
I had her take to Auto Zone he guy put in fuses for the gauges but the RADIO is out.
No power nothing comes on. Does not read need codes nothing.. I had guy check fuses #37 #42. They looked ok??
what is my next step... Im 400 miles away

·
←Blue or Purple?
147 Posts
You could also find the code in the wheel well under the flooring in the hatch. In "MOST" cars there is a Radio Key sticker next to the options sticker. Now I say MOST because my car did not have this sticker.

I had to go to the Dealer have them pull the RAdio and get the Serial from it. Call Volkswagen and lookup the key. $60 procedure :p

If you know where the Dealer is that sold the car when it was new they should have the Code in their records. Some will give it to you right over the phone others will want you to be there in person for security reasons.

01-02 cars have radios that usually reset themselves when the power goes off. As long as neither hardware the car or the radio are the same the Radio preforms a "handshake signature code" with the car. If it's the same it comes right back on without code. If not it requires code.

But..... sorry for the long trip :) fatdaddy mentioned NOthing showed up on the display. So I would say the guy that installed the radio hooked it up wrong. I have not replaced my stock radio yet. so I don't know the specifics on that. Hope you get it working again

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is stock Radio/CD.
If you have the code were do you put the code in at?? You have to have a meter or something or is there a key pad place??
Tks for the help

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
The stock '99 New Beetle had a Stereo/tape player with CD changer capabilities. If the current radio in there is a Stereo/CD player it may not be stock.

If it is stock, read on...

The radio code was on a sticker originally provided when the car was new. Most folks put it in the owner’s manual. If you do not have the code, there is only one way to get it and that is to remove the radio. There are two little slots on the front of the stock radio. Two small "keys" fit into these slots. You push them in and they unlatch the radio and allow you to pull it out. The "keys" are a specialized tool that you can get either at a stereo instalation supply store or a VW dealer. Check on-line, they’re readily available and will cost you between $10-15.

After you pull the radio out, there is a serial number stamped into the side of the deck. You need that number and your registration and ID to get it from the dealer. Most dealers won't charge you to give you the code. It will only take them a minute or so to look it up.

After you turn the radio on, it'll read "SAFE" on the dial, and then it will change to 1000. The code is four digits long. To change it from 1000, push the radio preset buttons to change the numbers to match the code. After the correct numbers are there, press and hold the DIN> button for a few seconds and the radio should start playing.

If you aren't getting any power to the radio, their is also a fuse on teh back of the radio. Follow the above proceedure to remove the radio to get to the fuse.

Seeing how your daughter is so far away, I'd just have her take it to a local dealer and have them manage it. Trying to diagnose this long distance and having her take it to an unqualified mechanic [probably not even a mechanic] at AutoZone is not worth the trouble. It's possible that the guy at Autozone touched something or hooked soemthing up wrong and damage the fuses.

Good luck

-jeffrey

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Actually... you can get the code using just your VIN... no need for the serial number.

You don't mention the year of your daughter's NB, or whether it was purchased new. If it was, then the code is also stamped in the owner's manual. Mine was on a small tear out card on the inside front cover of the "Audio System" booklet. It's recommended that you tear it out and keep it in a safe place away from the car.

Also, most dealers are, in fact, charging for the service of recovering a radio code. I've heard reports of anything from $25 to $70, depending on the dealer. You can find a dealer that'll do it for free, but they're difficult to find. You might have your daughter check her owner's manual... in the radio section, there may be a paragraph that states that the dealer will provide the service for free. If so, then you're set. Just have her go into the dealer, flash the section in the owner's manual, and have 'em input the code. VW mysteriously struck that paragraph from the owner's manual in later years, though (presumably because many dealers were complaining that they weren't allowed to charge a fee).

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Daugher is home

Daughter came home today.
Her radio is still out. No light, nothing
just a dead radio.. I looked under he wheel
and the only sticker I saw was one the left
side.. I is a white with black I reads
left side down VIN, NIV TYPE Eng code, Code moteur/brite vit, paint No. N PEINT
Options.... I do not see Radio Code..

Before the Radio went out there was a Check Engine Light on.. That is now OFF.. It has been
3 weeks since the battery change.. I will call the stealer tomorrow.. With no Radio light, or any reading on dail could it be the fuse?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Had her go to a audio/install place. They pulled radio fuse was out. The replaced it then
Radio Code came up on face. About 5 min later it re booted by itself.. Daughter was leaving place and the Check Engine and Battery light one.. Went inside to tell the guy I ased her to see if he had a vag meter.. They came back out started and both lights were gone..

Thanks for the help.. I got some good help also in Audio Forum..

This is a GREAT SITE for us Buggers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts