VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2000 new beetle. The battery was disconnected before we purchased it so the radio is in safe mode. There is no code in the spare tire hold or in the manual. The local dealership wants $65 to give me the code. There are no tools to pull the radio out either.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
If the radio is original, often after driving the car for a while the Safe mode will clear on its own.

You may need to try to turn the radio off and on a number of times.

I have seen this happens when the battery was disconnected for service and the radio will somehow recognize the VIN or something on the CAN bus and start working without entering a code.

·
1999 Beetle TDI
332 Posts
That's total BS I called my VW dealer and asked them for the replacement radio code. He needed the Vin from the car and a VW number on the side of the radio. I can give the number for my VW dealer and I guarantee they will help you. They are in central Pa and are good people. I just called the Service dept manage and he helped without any issue..

·
Registered
202 Posts
safemode

Turn it on and run around a few minutes , it might just fix it self. Mine did after I blew the fuse .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts