NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a new battery in my 98 2.0 NB. Later my radio's LCD displays the word SAFE and no longer works. :(

What did I do?
Can it be undone?

thanks

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Your headunit has entered... well... SAFE mode. The lockout mode it activates when it loses it's constant power. It's meant as a security feature... so that if someone cut the radio out of your NB, it'd be useless to them because it'd be in this lockout mode.

What you need to find is the security code for the headunit. If you bought the car new, it should be stamped in the owner's manual on a little card that says "Radio code" or something. But if you bought the car used, chances are that card has been ripped out of the owner's manual (as it should be... it'd be a bad idea to ever keep your radio code in your NB).

Some people have been successful in finding the radio code on the sticker inside (or around) the spare tire well. But sometimes that's missing as well.

In which case, you most likely would need to take your car (or at least your VIN) to your dealer and ask them to contact VWoA for your code. Some dealers will charge you a fee for this service, some won't.

Then, once you have the code from one of these sources, you enter it into the headunit via the station present buttons, I believe... it's been a while.

·
Premium Member
3,625 Posts
Sure it can be undone, what has happened is your radio has gone into a anti-theft SAFE mode, you need to enter the radio code which can be found in your Owners Manual (Hopefully).

If its not there try looking at the sticker which should be mounted on the piller of the drivers door.

If there is no sticker there, lift up the carpet in the rear of your vehcile and look for it near the spare tire well, there should be the radio code on there somplace.

IF that still doesnt help, your dealership will be able to get the radio code for you via your VIN number.

*Heh.. Bah.. beatten by Stienola

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bam! there it is

Thanks to all for the info. Found the code, and NPR is back up.

Let's say that this did not work and I was forced to by an new radio. I would like one with a SD card port for mp3 files. What can of worms am I opening with an after market install?

My two main concerns are; The wiring harness, will it mate with VW and the dress plate. How will it look?

Or should I post this question in the audio section.

Again thanks to all.:D

·
Premium Member
3,625 Posts
The audio section would get more views for this, If you got a new headunit chances are that they make an adapter for it to match up with the VW wiring harness, and they do sell a dress plate to make the square thing look better in a round hole..

If you want more information about headunits etc, please post this question to the audio forums.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts