VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello we just recently purchased a 03' convertible. I am having some issues with the radio. I get no sound (static included) from the unit and if I hit scan it docent stop at any stations it will however play CD's and cassettes perfectly. I was wondering if I have a radio or antenna issue? I am going to assume radio but thought I would ask the experts here first. Thanks for any assistance.

·
Registered
15,841 Posts

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
If the windshield has been replaced, this is likely the problem.

You need to look closely for the antenna wiring across the top and down the passenger side of the glass. About 4" from the edge.

If you cannot find the antenna wiring, chances are the windshield was replaced with a non convertible windshield.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good point on the windshield. I did check it and it appears to be the original and has no cracks in and around the antenna wire. I will check the head unit tomorrow as I am up against lots of Christmas concerts today with the kids.

·
Registered
758 Posts
When I put an aftermarket radio in mine, it needed a special antenna adapter to go between the new radio and the car's antenna connector. From what I understand, the convertibles have an amplifier connected between the radio and the antenna. Perhaps this has gone bad? Besides that possibility, it could be a wiring problem or the radio itself.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update- With all the great help here I found pulling the radio and cleaning the antenna contact solved my issue. Thanks for all the great help!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello we just recently purchased a 03' convertible. I am having some issues with the radio. I get no sound (static included) from the unit and if I hit scan it docent stop at any stations it will however play CD's and cassettes perfectly. I was wondering if I have a radio or antenna issue? I am going to assume radio but thought I would ask the experts here first. Thanks for any assistance.
Did you ever get it fixed? If so, what was the fix?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts