VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I want to take the radio from my 01 and put it into my daughters 99. So do I need codes to pull this off and how whould I get them if so? tks Bart

·
Registered
118 Posts
I doubt you need codes, these didn't come with any sort of Theft-Loc system like General Motors, Volvos, and Mercedes usually do. Only issue you might have is if your 2001 has the Monsoon system and hers doesn't, or vise versa. Even then the harness is the same for any Volkswagen from 1986-2005.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
You will need the codes as the radio coding is in one of the computers in the car and it checks with each powerup.

They should be on a sticker in the spare tire area or in the owners manual(if the original dealer recorded it,)

The dealer can get the code with the VIN & the radio serial number.( some charge for it, Although the owners manual states they will get the code for free)

There are places on the net to get the code for a fee.

You do not need the code for the radio in the original car the radio came in as the computer sees it on powerup.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Vedubya you are the man ! I took the one out of my car and the sticker is in the trunk like you said, After a little search on how to enter the code it was up and playing in her car ! As for getting her old radio out, the left side was being stubborn. Here is what I observed on the radio that I had out of my car. With keys in the slots totally engaged to the point they click - actually releases some of its pressure to the spring clips. I retried the keys in her radio and kept them from just locking in, with that you can apply pressure to the keys toward each door and give the springs an extra bit of leverage. At that point it begged to come out.
I wrote the code from her trunk on the top of her malfunctioning unit and tossed it in my spare parts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts