NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any luck with those websites that promise unlock codes for your radio? I have a stock radio from a junked car. VIN and radio Sn# don't match. Dealer wants $55 and they didn't seem to confident over the phone they could help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
radio unlocks codes

Well I guess I can answer my own question. I went to the website justask.com and gave one of there "experts" the radio sn# and two minutes later I was listening to my radio. I didn't have to supply a VIN but I did have to give them $29. I sure was tired of driving around in silence. So its all good!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Nothing more than a big ripoff!! I had the same problem. Two different dealerships told me I had to bring it in so they could hook it up and retrieve the code. I figured I would try one last time so I called a third dealership and asked if they could get the code for me. "POOF"...a minute later, over the phone, the guy gives me the code...free! At least some people are nice enough to help without trying to gouge you at the same time.

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
Just the heads up. We got our replacement radio from a salvage yard. We also took a photo of the vin number from the Beetle we pulled the radio from, as well a photo of the car (or what was left of it)

Anytime the stealership tries to pull that scam? (aka, the rainy day payoff) I would bring a photo copy of the owners manual where it states CLEARLY that VW dealerships WILL supply FREE OF CHARGE the radio unlock code.

Show them a photo of the radio serial, the vin of the car it came out of--and a photo of the junker. And then state clearly "Please supply the radio code as per your factory manual".

S-

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
I just saw this. pm me your radio seial number. It should have a "Z" in the beginning. Ill get you the code.

I work for Metro VW, dealership here in Dallas TX.

-jd

Reactions: beetlefanornot

·
Registered
11 Posts
radio code

hello.
i was just looking through the post, and have almost the same problem. i had to change the battery in my 07 beetle and now the monsoon radio is in safe mode. dont have the code, i bought it used, it only has33,000 miles on it.called a vw dealer in my area and they wanted $89.00 to get the code. hell no they wont. there should be a way to put in the vin numberand retrieve all the options and everything from the manufacturer? including the radio code?
thanks.:)

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
hello.
i was just looking through the post, and have almost the same problem. i had to change the battery in my 07 beetle and now the monsoon radio is in safe mode. dont have the code, i bought it used, it only has33,000 miles on it.called a vw dealer in my area and they wanted $89.00 to get the code. hell no they wont. there should be a way to put in the vin numberand retrieve all the options and everything from the manufacturer? including the radio code?
thanks.:)
Do you still have the owners manual?

If so, the manual CLEARLY STATES the dealership will provided the code for free. I'd put on the 'party hat' walk in with the numbers you know you'll need-- And place it--and the manual in front of the service manager and his boss (Yeah, I can be a PITA to deal with LOL)

Hang around, I think we have a few guys on the forum that work at VW shops and can research the release code. Most of the time the code is written in the owners manual, or on a removable card.

Regards,

S-

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Have you drive the car since you replaced the battery? Often times when the car has the original radio, it will clear on its own after it handshakes with the ECU.

Sometimes you may need a few engine starts and a few short trips.

If you have not driven the car a few days, try this before you get too excited.

It may also depend on how long the battery was dead/disconnected from the car as well. If the car sat for a long time with a dead battery, it may have caused the ECU to loose all its short term memory.

Also did you see the comment from JD earlier in the thread? He is a regular around here and he has offered to help, but you need the radio serial number which you either need to obtain by removing the radio or having advanced software than can read the radios serial number while still installed in the vehicle.

See JD's comment below, and PM him by clicking on his user name earlier in the post.

I just saw this. pm me your radio serial number. It should have a "Z" in the beginning. Ill get you the code.

-jd

·
Registered
11 Posts
hello all.
the battery was out of the car about 30 min. to put a new one in. i have driven it 3 or 4 times on short trips, 5 to 15 miles at a time. i have no serial number for the radio, i did not want to pull it out of the dash. i would probably screw something else up. would the serial number be behind the face plate? i could probably get that off.
thanks

·
High mileage driver found
268 Posts
Just for the record- if you get a radio from the junkyard/whatever, you can just use your VIN. For whatever reason, the VW radio code lookup asks for a VIN, but it doesn't matter which VIN you enter, as long as it's one for a vehicle the radio will fit. (I picked up a New Beetle Monsoon CD/MP3 stereo with aux and iPod capability at the local thrift shop for $5, and had no issues looking up the code with my VIN.)

I guess this is so there aren't Cavaliers driving around with Monsoon stereos?

·
His name is Poseidon
100 Posts
I just recently bought a AM/FM/CD from a salvage yard to replace the AM/FM/cassette and the site I used was Can't find your factory car stereo radio code? We can help! to retrieve my code. The cost was $28.95 and the first code they sent me did not work. I had to send pictures of all of the labels found on the unit and with playing e-mail tag they finally came through with the correct code. It is a route to take when you don't want to deal with going to the dealership and have them perform it for you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just saw this. pm me your radio seial number. It should have a "Z" in the beginning. Ill get you the code.

-jd
hi there, i got used bug 03, but radio safe mod n 1000 on screen, here is the serial number,VWZ9Z7A5230094. i appreciate your help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do you still have the owners manual?

If so, the manual CLEARLY STATES the dealership will provided the code for free. I'd put on the 'party hat' walk in with the numbers you know you'll need-- And place it--and the manual in front of the service manager and his boss (Yeah, I can be a PITA to deal with LOL)

Hang around, I think we have a few guys on the forum that work at VW shops and can research the release code. Most of the time the code is written in the owners manual, or on a removable card.

Regards,

S-
Where at in the manual I a 2005? Thank you in advance

1 - 15 of 15 Posts