NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a used 2000 Beetle. The radio will power on and off, but no sound. When it's on, the radio displays FM 88.3 MHZ MAN. I do know that before I bought it the battery was dead and that the CD changer from trunk area is gone. Any suggestions or insight? Love my bug, but hate singing to myself!

·
Just having fun!!!!!!!!!!
333 Posts
Did the dealership give you the radio code when you bought the beetle? Did they give you the manual for it? If they did look in the back of it for your code.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No manual or codes. Looked in wheel well, door - no codes. I've been searching the web for anyone who's had a similar display on their radio -- haven't seen one yet. Dealer said my radio was "fried" but I wanted to hear from the experts out there before I cough up money to them.

·
333 Posts
We had a similar problem with yelojkt. The battery had got disconnected and when reconnected had that same code, however, when we diconnected the battery for about 5 min and then reconnected it the radio showed safe mode. If that happens your radio is not fried but needs to have the code reset. From my understanding the dealerships charge anywhere from $50.00 to $100.00 to reset it for you. They have to take the radio out to get the ID # off it. Once this happens they can email or call VW with this # and your VIN # to get your radio code and reset the radio to work. If this is the case be sure to get that code from the dealer when they fix the radio incase your battery ever gets disconnected again. Hope this info helps you out. :)

·
333 Posts
My husband said if you live in a place where there is more than 1 dealership take it to the one who didn't say your radio was fried. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. I'll try disconnecting the battery to see if that'll help. (Unfortunately we only have one VW dealer in the area!)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts