VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the difference between a monsoon and a non monsoon radio. I just screwed up when I tried to jump my car and I reversed the cables so I might be looking at a replacement radio. I will be checking the fuses tomorrow. My car has a cassette player and a in trunk cd player TX for the help .:mad:

·
Registered
423 Posts
I don't know if there is a difference but just to be sure get a monsoon. Don't forget about the fuse behind the radio also! Good luck!

·
5/23/10 <3
11,412 Posts
The Monsoon comes with an amp in the car. If you just have a changer, I think that would be non-Monsoon.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will check tomorrow it is the one with the tape player in the dash and a 6 CD changer in the trunk does anybody think that I screwed up the radio by crossing the cables everything else in the car works thanks for all your responses so far

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
May need to pull the radio as there is a blade fuse in the rear that you can access easily and inspect/replace.

Pulling the radio is not fun, mainly the wiring, or stuffing the wiring back in behind the radio without dropping part of the dash below the radio.

I tied a string around the wiring harness and fed it back under the dash and looped it around foot and used my leg to push on the string while reinstalling the radio! This kept me from needing a helper when reinstalling the radio.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TX for the tip I have the removal tools ordered should be able to check on Saturday. Did replacing the fuse fix your problem or was it something else?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
J.ust to finish this one up .I was able to remove the radio with an expensive tools from ebay .I found that the fuse had been blown ,so I replaced the fuse and reinstall the radio when I turned it on the number 1000 appeared. I turned off the radio and the ignition turned on the car again and it went to safety mode .I took the car out and did some errands and turn the radio back on and it automatically rebooted. I did not need to put in the safety code and all my presets were saved pretty amazing, but I was shocked to find out that I didn't have to put in the code to get the radio going again but I wasn't complaining too much!!!! Thanks everybody for all your help.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
The radio pin code is supposed to be written in the owners manual. Sometimes there is a sticker in the spare tire well with the pin on it. There are places on the internet who can get the code with the radio serial number( it's on a sticker on the radio)and the cars VIN. They charge for it.

The owners manual states a VW dealer will retrieve the code for free but most want to try and charge for it.

If the radio is in its original car it is coded to the computer and will reset itself without the code.

If you buy a used VW radio make sure you get the VIN of the car the radio came from to be able to get the code if needed in the future.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts