NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've posted a video on YouTube Vw beetle 99 2.0l engine noise after running with no oil - YouTube

I know it was stupid but i only traveled 5 miles or less i hit a massive pothole not paying
Attention talking to my wife cracked the oil pan after the hit about 4minutes later oil pressure
Light got out noticed the oil pan was cracked two cracks one no bigger than 4 or 5 mm and the second about 2-3 mm so continued to head home in the process the car shut off twice. But started back up got home removed the oil pan i saw small pieces of metal in the pan but at the time i thought where just fragments of the aluminum oil pan we have a spare beetle my wife wrecked one so we use it for parts so i installed the oil pan from that car refilled with oil and now it's making the noise from the video sounds like paper in a fan almost so i took the oil pan back down to check the (connecting rods ?) i shook them i believe there were four connected to the (crankshaft?) up to the (pistons?) anyway no play shaking from front to back but left and right no more than 1mm checked the oil pickup tube scarce amount of metal shavings removed the oil pump which spins freely no sludge no metal shavings it was clean now i removed the valve cover the camshaft is also turning freely and all the valves come up and go down even so I've checked as far as i can from the top and as far i can from the bottom does my problem rely in the block im prepared for the worst i just want to kno if im headed in the right direction i know i may need a new engine i just would like to know if what's going on can i fix it, do i need to check the bearings in the block maybe the piston holes are scoured from what I've read but would that cause it to make that noise take the heads off to see if the metal shaving are in the block because none were found up top only in the pan yes the shavings are magnetic but not all of them

Ps: i can hear the compressed air from the piston/to heads when i turn the crank by hand

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
I don't have an answer but check the search for 2.0 and see what shows up there.

Welcome to the great and wonderful ORG! Many fantastic cars, people and answers lurk in this great land. If you haven't done so already, take time to fill in your profile and post a few photos so we can ORGle them!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Found problem i think

Did some examining and i found my main bearing are worn pretty bad but not enough to damage the journals which i figure is the culprit of the metal shavings in the pan hence the no oil pressure because too much clearance between the bearings and journal passages camshaft and head valves seem fine no sign of visual damage the crank shaft chain tensioner is also shaved down a bit from the chain rubbing against it which i am hoping is causing the chattering diesel noise from the video I've ordered main/rod/thrust bearings set a new crank chain tensioner oil pump/pan/gasket intake/exhaust/and valve cover gasket new plugs and wires im going to try to change all of these parts and hopefully i can bring our vdub back to life thanks in advance stop me if im headed in the wrong direction

·
Registered
13,445 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No i did not check the cam caps/bearings should tho there are no obvious signs of wear (no metal shavings

1 - 7 of 7 Posts