VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Black/Yellow, Blue/Brown, and Brown. All three of them still have their pins on them too. Any idea what their supposed go to?

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
Ok, so we are working with a: 2000 GLX with the 1.8T and a 5 speed. Please update your info; that way, we can know what your car is (update your profile info; it will show up under the right side after join date and location: put year, model, engine, and trans). Thanks! :)

It kinda looks like the same area; for the MAF connector, is there a maf plug in your car now? Three wires; doesn't seem like enough though.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would have sworn I did that.

And the maf connector is fine, its the lowest loom thats going out of shot in the second picture.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I still haven't been able to find where the heck these goto at all. None of the wiring diagrams I have show any connector with those 3 wires. Just seems weird to be something factory like that wrapped up in tape...

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
Can you take a picture and describe, more clearly; where this sub section of the wiring loom; is coming out of the main wiring loom you are referring to? If I can pinpoint; more clearly, what you are referring to, I can look at my car and try to figure it out. I was thinking; some sort of sensor plug; with three terminals. My car is a 2002 AWP 1.8T with a 02M six speed but I would assume it is similar to your 2000 5 speed, 02J...1.8T. On my car; I haven't found any factory "unused/taped"; subsections of the wiring loom, that I have seen so far. If there was such a thing; I think it would be odd, for the terminals to just be out there, easily ground out on something. :screwy:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I can't get a clear picture of it. but I'll describe it as best I can. And sorry its an APH with an 02J.

In the old photo, you can see a zip tie on the wires it then gets a silver casing, it then leans down under the SAI control valve and tying into the harness that leads up to the fuel injectors.

The silver casing looks like a heat shield of sorts? All my oxygen sensors and their wires are in place.

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
When I had my trans out; the wiring that had silver shielding on it, went to the speed sensor.

Here is a picture; showing the location of the speed sensor on the 02J 5 speed. This is educated guess; on my part. I have 02M but the location of the sensor is similar.

You can see the plug; near the axle connection here:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4630737-02j-for-parts

From what I can tell; the speed sensor had three terminals on it: (I'm pretty sure this is the right one)

http://www.ecstuning.com/ES296415/

Here is some info; on your missing plug, assuming we are on the right track here...

http://newbeetle.org/forums/2-0-liter-gas/56154-speed-sensor-connector.html

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nope its not the speed sensor. (ouch the transaxle is painful to look at...) Also when I said silver cover I mean instead of the plastic wire loom it has a silver fabric cover.

But my speedometer works great! And I can see something else is plugged in there already.

·
Registered
15,841 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Used the photo and when out to look at every sensor it notes and everything is hooked up... So I'm a bit lost... Maybe they swapped the harness or something?

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
Strange; I am not seeing anything either! :mad: If you can get a photo; at some point, where it connects to the harness, let me know! On that side fo the engine; I am seeing these sensors/plugs: coolant temp sensor, brake master cylinder pressure sensor, sensor the connects to the side of the trans (reverse light switch), oil pressure sensor/sending unit, speed sensor, etc.

Have you ever decoded; you vin #, I wonder if it was originally a auto (auto to manual swap)? I know; the 01M, has/had more connectors for different sensors, look at this diagram: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=248847

VW vin # decoder (look at the last tab for trans info): VIN Decoder - Volkswagen Forum - VW Forums for Volkwagen enthusiasts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just ran the VIN it is a manual transmission car. I really am lost. Tomorrow weather permitting, I'll remove the airbox again and try to get some better pictures.

The only one odd thing this car does is the cruise control light never comes on. But it works just fine. Otherwise, no codes, everything else in the dash works fine and no other oddities.

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
Another thing; that just came to mind; the 1.8T is known for misfires and many times, it is related to coil pack connectors and cracked wiring harnesses. VW sells a overlay replacement harness; that is somewhat universal and all the wiring connections may not be used. I wonder; if this could be the case with your wiring harness and it was replaced?

Here is an example of a overlay raplacement the harness; for the 1.8T. Note: you might check the diy's listed below and see if some connections are unused on some applications/cars.

https://www.google.com/search?q=1.8...en-US&q=1.8t+coil+pack+wiring+harness&spell=1

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,869 Posts
Hmmm, this is odd.
I'm gonna take a peek under my beetle's hood and look at the leftover wires from my 5-speed swap. Maybe it's an automatic trans related wire/connector.

When doing Cup's first timing belt service, I noticed a little connector wrapped in a little heat shield bag. I never knew what the purpose of that connector was, until I swapped out my auto trans. for a 5-speed. The connector was for the speed sensor (speedometer) for the manual transmission.
I'm saying all.of this, wondering if VW, by design, made one universal wiring harness for both auto and manual trans.? Maybe this is the case of the mystery wire. So, I'll check my engine compartment and see if your mystery wires are auto. Related.

Funny, how the wires are exposed though. Odd.

EDIT: if there's a connector at the end of the wire, a view of that connector would be a help too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts