NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes probably covered loads. But here are my findings so far. Car runs smooth no misfires well looked after 125 thou miles.
Occasionally i can turn it off , return few mins later and it will crank but not start. I have a perfect working lpg system on the car with new lpg ecu . If its going to happen when cold ....no sound of pump when opening door or light on lpg switch. When engine warm if its not going to start i know straight away as no light on lpg. The lpg is linked to immobiliser system too. Its not the lpg at fault . Messing around locking and unlocking car can bring it to life. Happens every two or three weeks then goes away . By fluke i tapped the panel hard under the bulkhead beneath steering wheel and all came to life . So im guessing a sticky relay. Ordered one but now think it may be for diesel fuel pump model as its 4 pin and has 106 or 109 on it. Is there a relay for petrol 2.0 2002 that can cause this or have i bought the correct one . I hear its common fault so wondering which relay to order?

·
Registered
11,587 Posts
I would always start with a fresh scan; for any trouble codes, immobilizer, 409 fuel pump relay or a failing/bad engine speed/crank sensor will throw codes but a fuel pump, will typically not (aside from a lean code). The most common; hard or no start issues, are immo, fuel pump relay, crank sensor and failing fuel pump. The fuel pump and crank sensor; seem to be particularly prone to heat soak issues and that is why, many times, the car will start fine when cold but if you are driving around, then park, come back, then the no start issue. I cannot speak, to any possible LPG system issues but I am strictly going by what we see with the factory VW issues we see. Please, scan the car for trouble codes; report back and we can go from there. Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Replaced 409 relay with a second hand 8 pin identical. No issues since. Old relay looked in good condition inside . Assume the chip or electronics had a randomly occuring fault in the relay

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And still faultless. And no faults elsewhere at all so its done 132000 miles and looking at the history has not had any of the usual faults. Just sagging rear window headliner which i sorted for a tenner using barbed s clips . Just passed mot no prob too. Guess they aint all bad

1 - 7 of 7 Posts