NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Bug Less
3,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Grr :mad: Ok so My check engine light has been coming on, in Dora (94 explorer ) not thinking jackfrost said i could take it to autozone have them check it out for free , DUH!! stupid me :lol: forgot . anyways I had to get gas anyways and figured ill stop by autozone after that . I go to the gas station fill up . Now we get gas cards for these chains from work , i had two totaling $10.00 . having spent 37.00 in gas figured ill save 10 with the cards, Well they can only use one pre visit , Im like Ive used more then one before :confused: . she asks the manager, Who has waited on me before, hes like it says right on the card one pre visit and we have never done more the one BS!!. so im a little pissed about this . so i pay and leave.

Get to autozone , tell the guy I have a CEL could they check it ? . hes like sure, what year blah blah , im like 94 explorer.walk out side, he opens the door, feels under the dash then says sorry I cant check it . as 94 was a change over year you 'll have to take it somewhere else that can scan it ... WTF???? what freaking morons !!!:mad: :mad: :mad: Im at the point of saying Screw it and drive the damn thing with the CEL on ..:mad: :rant: :bash:

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
18,312 Posts
Fowvay said:
1995 is OBD II... Autozone is only set up to read the codes for OBD II equipped vehicles.
AWWW POOP! What about Pep Boys or something like that? Same thing?

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
All depends on the what they have in the shop. Used to be everybody had one of the old style scanners. Then as the demand went away, so did the scanners.

·
Registered
867 Posts
You should be able to check the code buy putting a jumper in the right place in the connector. Then turn on hte key and count the flashes of the CEL. This info might be in your owners manual, otherwise check a shop manual or ford board.

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
That method works well for GM products. Fords are different. wouldn't ya know.
Some of the old Fords have a push button hidden under the dash that caused the code to be flashed. A repair book for your model should tell you where the button is, if it is equipped with one.
Kind of like finding the plug on a VW MK3. Why would VW ever hide it behind the ash tray?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts