VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· JYD, Peppy Pepper, Rico,
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to tell you, for my first order with ECS I am not really happy with the service and not sure I will ever shop them again. Let me explain...

The wife and I needed some window regulator repair kits as most new beetles do. So I put an order in last Sunday for two kits. 3/20/11. I paid via PayPal so it’s an instant payment. I realize they are closed on Sunday so I assumed that they would process and fill the order on Monday.. WRONG.. They sent an estimated delivery date of 3/25/11. I went to the website and chatted with a live agent. I informed via text the order number and what was ordered and asked if this was the correct date for shipment? The rude agent just keeps replying 3/25/11 is the date. Very short answer over and over. WOW great customer service, NOT! As you may know it’s a pain when your windows go out, you are afraid to roll them up or down because they may just stick or break down. That’s not good. So you could say I am in a hurry to get this part. I sell many items on eBay and I never take more then a day to process an order. ECS took three days to get the order in the mail or UPS. They notified me Wednesday that my parts were on the way, 3/23/11. WOW really. So if you add the customary 3 days in transit with slow mo UPS, I will not get my parts as told.

SO tell me more about your experience with this company and if you would or WOULD not order from them again. I hope this is not their normal approach to the customer..

Thanks for your time
Marc
:mad:

· Can you handle it??
1,676 Posts
I am SUPER surprised that ECS would be like this, considering they are a rather high profile vendor on this site. :(

I am SERIOUSLY really re-thinking a purchase I needed to make with them VERY soon. I am betting I could spend my 250 bucks and get my stuff somewhere else with less trouble. I have been reading a lot of stuff around here lately. :( Makes me a little nervous, that's all.

Sorry you had to go through all that Marc.

· 5/23/10 <3
11,764 Posts
Are you sure that was an estimated delivery date and not an estimated ship date? I ordered from them for the first time on Friday 3/18 and when I paid, I got an estimated ship date of 3/25. I didn't get an estimated delivery date until it actually shipped. I ordered a set of NB floor mats on their spring clearance deal (whole set of mats normally almost $100 on sale for $9 and only $18 shipping!). Shipped late Friday and I got them on Tuesday. I got the email at 6pm on Friday...the mats were here late morning or early afternoon Tuesday so not even 3 days in transit. You should have a tracking number so you can see when it will actually get there. The estimated delivery date once shipped was very accurate.

You can't always go by the ship date they give you at first. I ordered something from VW Driver gear for Valentine's day for my hubby. Ordered it over a week in advance, but the ship date wasn't until the 15th. Shipped the next day and I got it soon after.

I was super happy with ECS. I'll definitely order from them again. But I usually order parts from other places. They're great for aftermarket and cosmetic stuff. Germanautoparts.com and 1stvwparts.com are my go-to online sources. Otherwise, I order parts via my mechanic.

· Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,804 Posts
Ok, I will chime in here. I was on the help line last week, trying to order a driver side door mirror. I kept asking if the mirror assembly had the integrated blinker, which is what I needed. The rep I was in contact with told me what part # to order but could not tell me for sure if it had the blinker in it. When I asked him how could I be sure what Part # to order he told me to call VW and confirm the part # then place the order with ECS. That's so Lame. Now this was going to be a pretty big order, mirror assembly, brake kit, short shifter and a few other items, almost $500. But right then and there I decided to do business elsewhere. I can can the stuff cheaper from other vendor's anyway, who have knowledge of the parts they are selling. There, that's my rant, for now.

· 5/23/10 <3
11,764 Posts
With the large amount of parts they sell, you can't blame them for not knowing every little thing that they sell and every single part number. If you want to know what part number you need, you do need to find out. Its not their job to tell you. I'm sure they don't want to be b****ed out if they tell a customer what part number to get and its the wrong thing. And if they don't have something like Etka, its not all that easy to figure out part numbers.

*I have no stake with ECS...I only ordered with them for the first time last week. GAP is my usual parts stop*

· Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,804 Posts
With the large amount of parts they sell, you can't blame them for not knowing every little thing that they sell and every single part number.
Really, so they say they have a part that fits my car, but it's my job to know if it's the right part. This is not a little thing, this is a major thing. I don't know where they source their parts from. If they are selling parts,then they ought to be able to give a description. All you need is to see if the blinker was in the assembly or not. They could not answer a simple question , so I will shop elsewhere. As a business owner for over 20 years, I know customer service comes first.

· 5/23/10 <3
11,764 Posts
They do give part numbers on the parts, both the ECS number and the MFR part number. A quick google search will usually give you some good info. If you search for your specific car and its what pops up, I would assume its the right part. But if you are unsure, then why not just do a quick search? We have a Mk1...the parts are becoming harder to find. Places may have a part listed, but our car is a 1.6TD with AC so sometimes it isn't right.

I've also had pretty good customer service with ECS via email. When I ordered through Driver Gear, I originally wanted to order through ECS. For some reason, it wouldn't pick up my zip and calculate shipping so I couldn't check out. Emailed and they fixed the problem the next day. However, shipping was more money so I went with Driver Gear in the long run.

· treiber gefunden
882 Posts
I have only ordered from ECS twice and both times I got my items within 3 business days. 2nd time the cs rep could not tell me if the item (mats) would fit my NBC correctly. No biggie, I took a shot anyway because they were dirt cheap. I am in construction and do a lot of business over the internet and phone and customer service is not always friendly and happy... comes to think of it most ppl are not friendly nor happy :)

I would have to agree with 2004NBTurboS as far as info on the part. They are in the parts and accessories business they must know what they are selling regardless of the amount of parts they sell or handle, cs reps don't need to know all the info, that's what computers are for. Just my $.02
As far as shipping, they give you UPS tracking #'s and its usually UPS who gives you the delivery date.

· Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,804 Posts
Let me say this, I am not anti ECS. I like their site. The sale prices are sometimes hard to resist. Heck, I dont even mind the constant emails about specials. The cs guy rubbed me the wrong way,and it ticked me off.:runnethov

· JYD, Peppy Pepper, Rico,
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree to a point

I have only ordered from ECS twice and both times I got my items within 3 business days. 2nd time the cs rep could not tell me if the item (mats) would fit my NBC correctly. No biggie, I took a shot anyway because they were dirt cheap. I am in construction and do a lot of business over the internet and phone and customer service is not always friendly and happy... comes to think of it most ppl are not friendly nor happy :)
I would agree that life is not always happy go lucky and neither are the reps that work these jobs, like at ECS. It would seem that ever time I check the new post here on the org, ECS is pimping us to buy an item from them. I am sure they didn't know I was an org member. I feel that they should at least appreciate the business they get from this site and the people on it. This is my only point. I am also in sales, and I can tell you that in the current economic status of the USA I am very happy when someone chooses to spend their hard earned money on me or my products. I don’t think they advertise so much here because it’s a great benefit to us the members but more to them as a company making extra sales. I would just like some respect when I choose to spend my hard earned money on products with any company including ECS.

My Wife and I recently had some business with Blau parts and they were friendly and answered all our questions via a phone call and not a computer chat box. They were friendly and treated us well. We were happy with the parts. Case closed we will shop with them again, and again.

· treiber gefunden
882 Posts
I would agree that life is not always happy go lucky and neither are the reps that work these jobs, like at ECS. It would seem that ever time I check the new post here on the org, ECS is pimping us to buy an item from them. I am sure they didn't know I was an org member. I feel that they should at least appreciate the business they get from this site and the people on it. This is my only point. I am also in sales, and I can tell you that in the current economic status of the USA I am very happy when someone chooses to spend their hard earned money on me or my products. I don’t think they advertise so much here because it’s a great benefit to us the members but more to them as a company making extra sales. I would just like some respect when I choose to spend my hard earned money on products with any company including ECS.

My Wife and I recently had some business with Blau parts and they were friendly and answered all our questions via a phone call and not a computer chat box. They were friendly and treated us well. We were happy with the parts. Case closed we will shop with them again, and again.
Oh no, I don't disagree with you. Quite the contrary, I think cs reps should treat you with courtesy and respect whether you are spending a dollar or a thousand dollars, that's business 101. Unfortunately more often than not cs reps don't think the same way. I am in sales except I deal with my customers face to face and if I don't treat them with respect they too take their business elsewhere so I do whatever is in my power to keep them happy, so they can keep my bank account happy:D
I just added the unhappy ppl coment as a real world fact, but that doesn't make it right. What companies like ECS don't understand is that we have other choices and that we communicate between beetle owners and that's gonna affect their business either way. If ppl at the org did not make a difference to them they would not be here. A smart company treats EVERY customer like a VIP, as far as I am concerned you shouldn't have to tell them that you belong to the org to receive a good service.

BTW, I am not anti ECS either, I do think that aside from the casual cheap item their prices are a bit higher than most other places. Just ask Palmettoguy :roflmao:

· Premium Member
5,023 Posts
I've bought a lot of stuff from ECS. Their shipping to Canada is expensive but when the parts are cheap enough to make it worthwhile I'll do it. I'm neutral, they're neither great or bad in my eyes, they're just one of many vendors who wants to move merchandise, they're not out to help anyone.

Anyway, if you think ordering stuff is a pain, try getting them to refund you when they screw up your order. They've sent me the wrong parts twice, what a hassle that has been and hugely inconvenient as well. Otherwise they've been good to deal with though.

· Premium Member
4,320 Posts
Jon has taken many of my orders and I have made a LOT of orders over the last 10+ years. Almost all my oil changes, timing belt, water pump, springs, shocks, brakes, bushings, MAF, N75, N249, power window switches etc have been purchased through either ECS or GAP depending on who has the better price with shipping.

I've had one problem with ECS and that's when they accidentally sent me the wrong N249 valve because ETKA said the superseded part was right when it wasn't. I ended up not needing the part and they just gave me a credit. No questions asked easy peasy.

I've never even had to wait more than 48 hours to receive a part. In fact I've actually received parts before UPS caught up with the tracking information. :D

I guess everyone can have a bad day. I wonder though how much of that is the fault of CS and how much is the customer.

I've always done sales and have had more than my fair share of customers that thought I was being an ass and complained while the truth was they came into the conversation with a chip on their shoulder and regardless of how hard I tried I couldn't get them calmed down. Once that pebble starts rolling it quickly turns into an avalanche.

I hear similar stories on the net about users that complain another user is berating them, following them around etc. Neighbors that complain about my other nieghbors and how rude certain people are at stores I shop at. It's usually the same people doing the complaining about all the stuff and if I'm really honest I encounter all those same people and fort the most part they are cordial and kind to me.

Perspective, attitude and stress will warp how you really see things. So I tend to keep that in mind when reading threads like this one. The vast and I do mean VAST majority of people using ECS have had nothing but good things to say. Until I see first hand evidence to the contrary they will continue to earn my extremely limited and hard earned dollars.

· Can you handle it??
1,676 Posts
I've bought a lot of stuff from ECS. Their shipping to Canada is expensive but when the parts are cheap enough to make it worthwhile I'll do it. I'm neutral, they're neither great or bad in my eyes, they're just one of many vendors who wants to move merchandise, they're not out to help anyone.

Anyway, if you think ordering stuff is a pain, try getting them to refund you when they screw up your order. They've sent me the wrong parts twice, what a hassle that has been and hugely inconvenient as well. Otherwise they've been good to deal with though.
Jon has taken many of my orders and I have made a LOT of orders over the last 10+ years. Almost all my oil changes, timing belt, water pump, springs, shocks, brakes, bushings, MAF, N75, N249, power window switches etc have been purchased through either ECS or GAP depending on who has the better price with shipping.

I've had one problem with ECS and that's when they accidentally sent me the wrong N249 valve because ETKA said the superseded part was right when it wasn't. I ended up not needing the part and they just gave me a credit. No questions asked easy peasy.

I've never even had to wait more than 48 hours to receive a part. In fact I've actually received parts before UPS caught up with the tracking information. :D

I guess everyone can have a bad day. I wonder though how much of that is the fault of CS and how much is the customer.

I've always done sales and have had more than my fair share of customers that thought I was being an ass and complained while the truth was they came into the conversation with a chip on their shoulder and regardless of how hard I tried I couldn't get them calmed down. Once that pebble starts rolling it quickly turns into an avalanche.

I hear similar stories on the net about users that complain another user is berating them, following them around etc. Neighbors that complain about my other nieghbors and how rude certain people are at stores I shop at. It's usually the same people doing the complaining about all the stuff and if I'm really honest I encounter all those same people and fort the most part they are cordial and kind to me.

Perspective, attitude and stress will warp how you really see things. So I tend to keep that in mind when reading threads like this one. The vast and I do mean VAST majority of people using ECS have had nothing but good things to say. Until I see first hand evidence to the contrary they will continue to earn my extremely limited and hard earned dollars.

I think you guys are probably right. One, they ARE here to move merchandise, not assist with issues. AND two, I think it all depends on what the situation is.

I HAVE purchased stuff from them in the past, and I didn't have a single issue. BUT....... with that said, It just seems like as of late, there have been several people around here that have had quite a few bad experiences. It just makes me re-think whether or not I should spend my money with them. I was not sure if maybe they changed staff or something, and their service went south.
For me it was merely food for thought.

· Registered
708 Posts
I order some coolant hoses on Tuesday, around lunch time. It's a 2 day ship to my house. I just got a emaail on Friday that they just shipped. Now that's really slow processing. I guess I'll waste my weekend off, instead of fixing my coolant leak. Thanks a lot guys. I guess I'll fix it next week.

2,649 Posts
ECS is not a VW dealer, so when you are ordering factory parts from them they are probably turning around and getting them from a dealer that they have established a volume buying at discount contract with and they probably give a worst case date just to be sure--no one complains when they get stuff early, late is another story. I have been a customer going back to when they actually had a walk-in repair shop still and have never been disappointed other than the fact I live 20 minutes away and they don't allow customer pickups anymore.

· HP Technician
450 Posts
As with a LOT of companies today, including Ebay and Amazon, there is a practice of listing items whether you have them or not.

So when you order a part it may ship out next day (if they had it in stock) or it will sit in 'processing' for a few days where the real story behind the scenes is they are ordering the part and once it arrives they then ship it to you.

I understand that practice with online websites but do not believe it should happen on Ebay. At this moment I am waiting for tail lights I ordered via Ebay Friday morning that have yet to ship. Their answer to me was 'processing takes a few days' when I can guarantee the fact is they don't have it in stock so I must wait while if I had went with any of the other 10 Ebay ads with the same tail lights I would have them in my hands by now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.