VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Members,
I just purchased a 2007 Vw beetle 2.5L, car drives like a dream.
But, when i start the car in the morning, there is a clattering/ Rattle sound coming between the trans and engine, after i drive the car for 10-15 min, it disappear.
Car has 135k miles, i already changed the oil & oil filter, i think they never did this, the oil was so dirty.
The rattle/ chattering is coming i think somewhere between the convertor & engine, is there something i need to change?
I'm trying to avoid this sound, but i can't live with it.
Can someone tell where to start looking?
thanks

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
There are a number of possible problems that could cause a rattle sound; would it be possible, to make a video that shows that sound when it is happening? Post it to youtube or other hosting site and give us a link?

Potential noises/problems:

1. Standard transmission: clutch and particularly the dual mass flywheel failing. Typically a rattle; that can come and go.
2. secondary air injection air pump; the rubber mounts can break and when the pump comes on in the morning, can cause a rattle sound, until it shuts off.
3. engine: timing chain and tensioner/guides: I believe tensioner runs on oil pressure and in the morning, it may take a bit for the oil pressure to get up to normal pressure and take the slack out of the chain. The tensioner; could be failing, chain stretched, guides worn or a combination of all three. This problem; has been known to destroy the engine and bend the valves in the head; do not ignore this problem!
4. engine: low oil pressure

Those are just a number of ideas; off the top of my head. It could be a problem; that could cause a catastrophic failure (timing chain), so I would have a professional shop that specializes in Volkswagens check it out asap.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Try to get a recording of the sound.

If it is as bad as you describe, any mechanic should be able to understand what may be going on and where the noise is coming from.

Diagnosing problems over the Internet are very hard, noises are probably the most difficult to resolve.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Do you have a automatic or standard transmission? I haven't actually heard; a worn or bad timing chain; on a 2.5L but it doesn't seem to sound like a possibility. Again, I would have a shop that specializes in Volkswagens; check it out and see if the timing chain/tensioners/guides are worn or failing. Apparently, what happens is the chain has too much play/slack and it makes contact with the engine, wears away metal, guides fall apart, break and cause damage or eventually, the chain will fail and the valves will get bent.

Check out this article:

Timing Chain Failures on 2.0L, 2.5L Import Engines

Much more info and check out the videos; showing the sound of the problem:

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=2.5L+timing+chain+failure

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have an automatic... I searched and find out that you need to remove the transmission to change the chain and tensioners... I'm planing next weekend to start removing the trans to check what seems to be the issue.
Will keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
While, there are tons of threads about this problem on other sites; few, people around here have tackled the job themselves. Please, keep us in the loop and post pictures of the repair process and damaged parts. As these cars age; I am sure, we are going to see more 2.5L timing chain failures. As noted before; the earlier design was failure prone and I think, most people will not replace the timing chain/tensioner/guides; until it fails but unfortunately, the failure can cause catastrophic damage (many end up replacing their engine). I can only assume; more New Beetles, are going to end up in the junkyard, as the timing belt and chains, get neglected, wiping out whole engines! :mad: Thanks for sharing and I look forward; to seeing, what you discover and what is involved in the repair process! :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Members,
Today i removed the Transmission and the timing chain cover, i checked all the guides, tensioner, and everything seems to be okay, i also check if the timing chain is not tight enough, but it seems perfectly.
I removed the oil pan also, to see if the oil pump is dirty, and it was very clean.
Now i dont know what else to look...
I will replace the oil tomorrow again, last time autozone told me that these engines use normal oil 20-30, today i went to advance auto parts, and they told me i have to use 10-30 synthetic oil.
i dont think this would be the problem, but i will replace it tomorrow and change the oil cartridge also.
i'll keep you informed

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Well, since you are in there; I would at the minimum, try to get the part #'s off the timing chain/buffers/tensioner and see if you have the revised parts installed. It maybe; worth replacing them; as a preventative measure, since you have 135k, on the car and you have torn the car down so far as it is.

VWVortex.com - DIY: 2.5l Timing Chain Replacement

The timing chain kit; isn't cheap but compared to a whole engine/head getting wiped out; it probably is worth it.

Timing Chain Kit (BGP or BGQ engine codes) for Mk5 Rabbit/Jetta 2.5L

Is your car a standard/stick or automatic?

If it has a clutch:

The other thing to check; is the dual mass flywheel, there get worn out and start making allot of noise. If that is worn out; you probably, should just go ahead and replace the clutch, as the miles are up there as well. If you want to replace with a stock clutch system; I would recommend, a Luk "rep set"; these are typically, the EXACT same parts as factory, at a substantial cost savings (over getting the parts from the vw dealer). I have found; amazon, to have the best prices for the Luk, clutch and flywheel.

You can look up the correct clutch kit/flywheel; for you car here:

Schaeffler Automotive Aftermarket USA  | Products  | LuK RepSet®

·
Registered
7 Posts
not sure if this was resolved but after listening to the video that sure does sound like a slacky timing chain to me, especially if it goes away after it's warmed up. If the chain seems fine then I would be having oil pressure checked.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts