VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help with a rattling sound near timing belt area on a 2003 beetle convertable with a 2.0 liter gas.
I already replaced water pump, timing belt and tensioner pulley. Also serpentine tensioner and pulley and alternator.
Could it be A/C pump or power steering pump?
Is it ok to start the engine without the serpentine belt installed to help locate the rattling?

· Registered
19,258 Posts
Yeah, removing the serpentine belt; can help narrow down the problem.

Got a video of the noise; posting to YouTube, could help us with the noise observation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That definitely helps, it is much quieter without the serpentine belt.
Since I already replaced the alternator, A/C clutch pulley and tensioner, I'm going to say it's the bearings in the power steering pump.
I'll post links to videos soon.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That definitely helps, it is much quieter without the serpentine belt.
Since I already replaced the alternator, A/C clutch pulley and tensioner, I'm going to say it's the bearings in the power steering pump.
I'll post links to videos soon

· Registered
19,258 Posts
These engines and lifters can get noisy; as they age and lifters, get clogged up.

On my 1.8T, i ran seafoam in the crankcase, before a oil change and it really quieted them down.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They all are quiet when spinning by hand, but the steering pump has a little in/out play and it is greasy/dirty (may be seeping).
I am guessing that the belt tension pulling sideways makes a difference.
I found a power steering pump for around $65 on Amazon. I am going to replace it and let you know if it took care of the problem. It should be here in 4-5 days.
You may be right though, we'll find out.
Thanks for the input.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You were right, it's the alternator, although I replaced the steering pump, I think it was due anyway at 150k mi.
I used a wooden stick, 1 end on the alternator the other to my ear, it sounded horrible rough.
I found the receipt for the alternator, It was a remanufactured unit purchased late 2019 from my local Na?a auto for around $200. I haven't driven the car since mid summer so I figured it may have lasted just over 2 years, but I only put about 3k miles on it. It only gets driven to school on nice days to pick up the girls.
I wouldn't think that one should have to change the alternator with every oil change, but I've been wrong before. Maybe I should try one of those $73.99 ones on Amazon?

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
These engines and lifters can get noisy; as they age and lifters, get clogged up.

On my 1.8T, i ran seafoam in the crankcase, before a oil change and it really quieted them down.

Yes, I already put seafoam in the crank case, now I just need to drive it for 300mi before I change the oil to the compatible full synthetic. Fingers crossed!

· Registered
2,115 Posts
You were right, it's the alternator, although I replaced the steering pump, I think it was due anyway at 150k mi.
I used a wooden stick, 1 end on the alternator the other to my ear, it sounded horrible rough.
I found the receipt for the alternator, It was a remanufactured unit purchased late 2019 from my local Na?a auto for around $200. I haven't driven the car since mid summer so I figured it may have lasted just over 2 years, but I only put about 3k miles on it. It only gets driven to school on nice days to pick up the girls.
I wouldn't think that one should have to change the alternator with every oil change, but I've been wrong before. Maybe I should try one of those $73.99 ones on Amazon?

A $73 alternator off amazon is a worse choice than the Napa reman. Napa usually offers a lifetime guarantee on their alternators and starters, if you have the receipt take it back get a new one. For free. Sooner or later you’ll get a good one, most people just get tired of changing them out. The reman process is usually accomplished with cheap chinese junk parts and often fail rather quickly.

A new Bosch alternator will be about $300 that is what will permanently solve your problem for a couple of hundred thousand miles anyway. However the Napa avenue since you are already down that road is what I would try first. A certified Bosch reman is a bit cheaper and also a good choice. It must be certified.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts