NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone has a rattling latch (where the top meets the windshield frame) be sure to get the new "latch hook" part from VW installed. Previously, under bumpy conditions, it would sound as if the hook was moving around, causing much noise.

The new "hook" doesn't make any noise, and it is covered under warranty.

If anyone else has any known dealer fixes for problems such as this, I'd love to hear them. I'm trying to keep this car pristine, as I am very concerned about its future reliability. (I've always been a Honda/Acura owner.)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will have to check my service records at home to see what it says. I will try to reply by tomorrow.

·
Rather be Sailing
2 Posts
Are you talking about the big button we push in to release the top? The one that allows us to get the handle to pull down? I know there's two hooks inside the forward hard part of the top that hook into slots in the windshield frame that hold the top down in place.

I have a rattle or bumping sound in my top (only when top is up) that I hear when going over small bumps in the road, and it is worse in warm weather. I thought it might be cables or latches in the frame of the top, but who knows when it comes to locating a sound source, it could be a rattle in the windshield/top latches.

Thanks,

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jody:

Yes, that is what I'm talking about. The two hooks are causing rattling when the top is up. However, we had to jump through VW's hoops before we were satisfied.

VW's official "fix" for this problem is to apply a special tape in that area. I suspect they do this in the hopes that a certain percentage of customers will be satisfied and not complain. However, you will find that the tape only works for about 2-3 weeks, then the rattle is back. Only after you complain that the tape isn't working, will VW pay to have the new hooks installed.

Even the service tech said privately to me that the tape won't work. But he was bound by VW's rules of trying to tape first. So he told me to simply come back later, and complain that the rattling is back, regardless if this was true or not.

The new hooks have been very effective. The top latch area is now quiet and makes no rattling whatsoever.

I forgot to look at my service records last night. I will try to do it soon and post the part number.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is what my repair invoice lists regarding the convertible lock mechanism:

61445500 REPLACE LOCK
1688 WV03
01320024 TECHNICAL DIAGNOSIS
1298 WV03
1 1YO-871-383-B-3PT LOCK
2 1CO-868-243 CLIP
FC: 614415BFA2