NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm having an issue with my bug and I can't pinpoint the cause. :confused: Please help...

- There is a rattling noise whenever I'm in 2nd or higher gear, with the clutch fully engaged and I'm not pressing on the gas pedal

- The noise almost disappears if I depress the clutch or if I push even slightly on the gas pedal (with clutch engaged. A little push on the gas pedal (no speed or RPM increase) is sufficient to get rid of the noise almost completely

- When the noise is present I can feel some vibrations on the gear selector lever and I can feel vibration also when I change gears, I have a feeling like mechanical parts moving inside the gearbox

- If I go to neutral or depress the clutch the noise level goes down but does not disappear completely until the car comes to a complete stop

My car is a 1999 new beetle GLS 2.0 gasoline, 5 speed manual transmission, 94k miles.

Thanks a lot in advance for your help.

·
VDub Noob
218 Posts
Sounds like the throwout bearing is going kaput.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, throwout bearing was one of my suspects, but I thought the noise is supposed to disappear completely as you depress the clutch, while in my case it doesn't.

One of the other suspects was the wheel bearing, but I'm not sure whether you would expect the gear selector lever to vibrate in that case.

Do you guys have any comments?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
That's a good point. Should the noise increase frequency with speed too? I'm considering a brief highway test to confirm that.

One more question: If it is the throwout bearing should I hear the noise while the car is not moving, in neutral, with clutch released? I only remember hearing the noise while the car was moving even at fairly low speeds (~20MPH).

I'm trying to confirm the cause so I don't disassemble half the vehicle if it is just the wheel bearing :D

Thanks a lot to everyone for your help and inputs.

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,634 Posts
That's a good point. Should the noise increase frequency with speed too? I'm considering a brief highway test to confirm that.

One more question: If it is the throwout bearing should I hear the noise while the car is not moving, in neutral, with clutch released? I only remember hearing the noise while the car was moving even at fairly low speeds (~20MPH).

I'm trying to confirm the cause so I don't disassemble half the vehicle if it is just the wheel bearing :D ...
I know what you mean, been there, done that ...

Take your test drive and lets us know what happens.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi,

I went for a test drive and here is the result:

- The noise slightly increases in frequency between ~25MPH and ~40MPH

- At higher speed it is hard to hear the noise distinctly as it gets covered by the external noise

- I didn't notice any changes when turning left or right

Based on all of the above I'm concluding that this is likely a throwout bearing problem. Please let me know if anyone disagrees, in the mean time I started looking for a new clutch.

I saw the post from D2Beetle on clutch replacement which is very well done, and I searched the model of clutch he is using, however they say it is not compatible with my car on various websites I've been searching.

They gave me a different Sachs model # (K70106-02) instead of K70038-02F which is the one used by D2Beetle.

Does anyone know the difference and has any recommendation?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bingo, I didn't realize you had a 1.8L. I just ordered the Sachs kit for my car and the flywheel. I was able to find an alignment tool for the clutch but I didn't find the flywheel retainer or lock adapter.

Any idea where can I buy them?

I'll keep you posted on the progress and hopefully changing the clutch will solve the problem :)

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,634 Posts
Bingo, I didn't realize you had a 1.8L. I just ordered the Sachs kit for my car and the flywheel. I was able to find an alignment tool for the clutch but I didn't find the flywheel retainer or lock adapter.

Any idea where can I buy them?

I'll keep you posted on the progress and hopefully changing the clutch will solve the problem :)
Flywheel Lock Adapter

Flywheel Retainer

The only two tools that I used was the Centering Mandrel and the Flywheel Retainer. The Flywheel Lock Adapter did not work with either clutch.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts