NewBeetle.org Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
i had upholstry shop put in hard plastic window-for$300
Thanks for the input. Got a pic? Sounds like the route I'd like to take. Did they remove the top? The upholstery shop that I called said he would have to take the top off and put it back on and just the labor would be $800+. I ordered some 14 gauge clear vinyl to gorilla tape in. The previous owner had the rear glass taped in, but it was an ugly job. I think with vinyl and a neat tape job, it will look better. The plan for this car is to only drive it when she can put the top down and have the top only for those pop-up thunderstorms until she can get it back in the garage.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had a new top put on my 2004 18 months ago due to the separated window issue. The downside was the cost installed. Around $1000. The upside is that instead of the small glass window, it has a larger rectangular window. It's also fastened in a different way, so there will be no separation issue. The fabric and padding are vastly superior to stock. My care is very low mileage. We plan on keeping it for a while. The convertible top guy in Jacksonville, FL told me that the most those tops can really last will (in FL at least) is about 10 years. Definitely worth the spend.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi,

Just to tell you i do this fix with the 3M primer and 3M glue in 2016....And no problem...all is fine !
Thanks, Did you do it all at once with a bunch of suction clamps, or a section at a time with not as many suction clamps? I bought 6 clamps, but I've seen a kit with enough to go all around the glass in one installation.

I had a new top put on my 2004 18 months ago due to the separated window issue. The downside was the cost installed. Around $1000. The upside is that instead of the small glass window, it has a larger rectangular window. It's also fastened in a different way, so there will be no separation issue. The fabric and padding are vastly superior to stock. My care is very low mileage. We plan on keeping it for a while. The convertible top guy in Jacksonville, FL told me that the most those tops can really last will (in FL at least) is about 10 years. Definitely worth the spend.
Thanks for the reply. This NBC is 16 years old with 133K miles. And I'm spending a lot right now to fix a head gasket issue. Not sure I want to invest the $1,800 (cheapest estimate so far for rural West Virginia) right now.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts