NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

I'm ready to cash in and buy a 2000 GLX with 1.8t. it's a 5-speed with 60,000 miles. Any red flag issues for 1.8t at that mileages / age. No mod's and Maintenance history is good. Any help appreciated.

Bent but not broken........yet

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I have a 2000 1.8t and am just about to hit 50,000 miles. No major problems. The typical O2 sensors, MAFs, window switches, etc. that everyone with an MKIV seems to experience. But that's really it.

The only thing you may want to check on is the water pump and timing belt. They're probably due for replacement which could be expensive. So if you're buying it at a dealership, you may wanna see if there's some deal you could work out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
check the wiring harness!!!

just kidding, aside from my unique recent issue my 2000 1.8t has been a dream to drive, i miss her a lot.

:eek:

·
Premium Member
4,315 Posts
I love mine and would and do recommend them highly. Pete allready mentioned the timing belt and water pump but let me delve into it just a bit more.

It seems that the 2000 model year has a propensity of shattering water pumps prematurely. Unfortunatly VW is not doing a thing about this and you will have to pony up the money to replace the inherently flawed plastic impeller water pump. The good news is that you can replace it with a much longer lasting metal impeller pump from www.ecstuning.com .

You will have to remove the timing belt and drain the coolant at that time so you may as well replace those items. ECS again comes to the rescue by offering a comprehensive kit that includes everything needed to get the job done at a much reduced price from what the dealer would charge for the parts.

The only other things that I can think of are the infamous black temperture sensor that will need upgrading ( $8 part and about 3 min to replace) and the vacuum lines ( $10 and about 10 min).

I know it may sound daunting but with those items addressed you should be good to go for many tens of thousands of miles.

I can't wait to see the pics of your new buggy and I hope you join the proud ranks of us "Y2K Bug" driving New Beetle owners. :wave3:

Tom aka Fowvay

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
138,000 and no real major problems to speak of, i do have a rod knocking but thats from my own doing.

·
Registered
111 Posts
i'm with everyone else... replace the water pump, timing belt, and tensioner. Other than that I've never had any major problems with mine, although with that mileage, if the clutch hasn't been replaced yet, it may also be due. Not a terribly bad job, if you have some mechanical experience and can bench about 60-70 lbs than you can do it in a home garage/driveway with the car on jackstands.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Sukhoidave said:
If you aren't gonna try to get every lick of hp out of the car you'll be fine with an APH engine code.

Umm.... excuse me, but aren't the two quickest K03 bugs on this forum APH engine codes? (me and Fowvay) :D

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Yeah, I have a warning for you - prepare yourself for sore cheeks from grinning all the time. You are in for an excessive amount of fun!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've got a 2001 GLX w/42k miles, only problem was the A/C cooking a fuse.

I fixed the problem myself. Beefed up the grounding system. I've got no complaints about the car mechanicaly. I commute over 138 miles/day and sustaine speeds of over 80mph. When traffic is light and conditions are good I travel even faster. I switched my diverter valve over the the same one they run in the Audi TT. No rubber on that one. I run synthetic oil in my 2001, you may want to do the same. I have to say the car is fun to drive, it's very manuverable.

If you are looking for a quick car that is great on gas, then go for it!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts