NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1999 New Beetle (new to me). Low beam burned out--want to change both drivers & pass side bulbs.

Read forums, Bentley--can get headlight assy to move forward about 3/4 inch & then it stops.--both sides the same

The black levers seem to work ok. Pulling them all the way up moves the assembly forward about 1/4". but then it will only move just a bit more.

Can't get the assy's forward enough to remove the wiring harness--how far forward can the assy's go before they run out of wire?

BTW, Have tried prying from behind with a piece of wood, spraying with WD-40, prying from the front with a trim removal tool, much swearing....

Just can't seem to move the *$&$^) things.

Bentley doesn't show it, some posters mention an "m" shaped latch piece, but I don't see one. Is it only on some models and not on mine?

Any advice appreciated. I've rebuilt suspensiont that weren't this difficult......

·
Semi-Lurk Mode: GOOOOO
2,842 Posts
The wiring harness is PLENTY long enough to remove the housing from the body of the car. On mine I had to jiggle the housing while lifting on the little lever. Eventually it would hit the exact right spot, line up, and pop right out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One side worked!

Pulled out the driver's side--jiggling worked!

Passengers side is still stuck, but I think I understand why.

Gasket at the front of both the lenses is bad & the driver's side bucket was full of grit & ice/snow (did I mention that it's 15 F here?)

So I think that some hot water, lube, etc. will free the other side up ( after the sun comes up).

Thanks for the encouragement!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why I couldn't get my headlights out...

Had a heck of a time removing headlamps--they would release using the lever, but only move forward about an inch.
Found out why--previous owner had removed the front bumper assembly. There are some hefty plastic tabs on the bumper that are supposed to slide under metal tabs at the bottom of the headlight bucket area. Turns out that the plastic bumper tabs were ABOVE the metal tabs, and they were acting like heavy duty retainers for the headlight assembly. Pushed them down with some thin plastic from a milk jug, and the headlight assembly slid right out. Put the bumper tabs UNDER the metal tabs and now the headlight assembly slides in and out easily.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts