VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I was wondering if any can teach me how to mod my automatic retractable spoiler to manual. I own a 2002 1.8T new beetle with sunroof. I read from an old post that it is possible however the owner of the thread passed away and people who tried it said it didn't work for there car which also had a sunroof. I was wondering if anyone knows how to do it and can give me some feedback on what to do. Thanks so much.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What exactly are you trying to accomplish; do you want the wing to stay up and never go down or something else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I want to manual control the wing. Like if I press the button and it goes up it stays up and when I want to make it go down it goes down instead of the automatic one that goes up and down according to speed

· Registered
244 Posts
There should be a factory toggle switch under the dash...under the steering column area - right underneath the dash.

You can lean forward and reach it while driving...pushing one end of the switch makes it go up - and the other end makes it go down.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
However that one goes down right when I drive. I want to manual co tell the spoiler. Like if I turn it on it doesn't go back down when I drive. And when I don't want to use it I can't switch it off
However that one goes down right when I drive. I want to manual co tell the spoiler. Like if I turn it on it doesn't go back down when I drive. And when I don't want to use it I can't switch it off

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There should be a factory toggle switch under the dash...under the steering column area - right underneath the dash.

You can lean forward and reach it while driving...pushing one end of the switch makes it go up - and the other end makes it go down.

· Registered
244 Posts
The New Beetle has an aerodynamics problem where the rear end can become unstable at high speed (mainly while cornering)...which is why the Turbo (Gasoline) New Beetles
come with the electric rear spoiler.

You may be putting yourself in danger by converting it to full manual control if you plan to do some spirited or high speed driving in your car.

There used to be an aftermarket item called a 'Tailwagger' for the New Beetle electronic spoiler that let you change some settings on how the spoiler worked...although
I think the company doesn't exist anymore?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts