NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
our Rear emblem/badge is solid chrome looking now. So was the original version painted or was that vinyl in the black areas?

Just curious so we can decide how to fix, paint or inlay.

Thanks for any insight.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
There are several types, year specific. This is the reason for completing the information in the User CP, so we know a little about your Bug when you ask questions.

Here's a post showing the three most common.
Bentley Publishers - Technical Discussions : Testing G12 Coolant Freezing Point ...

I don't believe the backgrounds are vinyl on any of them. I have the almost flat, polished aluminum ones, and while the background is washed out, there appears to be some type of clear coating which is peeling, but the black/dark grey background is washed out below the coating. From my understanding the 3D versions are a chrome plated plastic composite with a dolomite grey background that I feel certain would be some type of paint. These are much nicer than the almost two dimensional polished aluminum ones. I'm planning on a set with backgrounds repainted to match the red vert top on my dark flint grey body.

Here's my suggestion for a source. They are Original VW and are correct for any pre '06 model not using the slide to the side badge or keyhole cover.
http://newbeetle.org/forums/new-beetle-detailing-cleaning/53036-hood-trunk-emblems.html#post762513
Price is still correct, or was, very recently, as confirmed by Bratgirl here -
http://newbeetle.org/forums/parts-accessories/53402-wtb-front-vw-emblem-black-silver.html#post766744

M.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Emblems

Thanks -- It's a 2004 NB.
The rear is the flatter version, pretty much just shiny silvery now.

I think we will try to mask and paint the in-between sections and see how it comes out before replacing.

Front one still looks new.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Thanks -- It's a 2004 NB.
The rear is the flatter version, pretty much just shiny silvery now.

I think we will try to mask and paint the in-between sections and see how it comes out before replacing.

Front one still looks new.
The problem your going to have is finding any type of paint that will bond to aluminum (you won't). What ever you use will be very short lived. Perhaps the front has already been replaced.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
plasti-dip?

What about the plasti-dip that people have written about?
Threads suggest that it works and is removable?

Also I've seen old posts where the vinyl inserts were being sold, haven't seen any lately though.

thanks

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
Both badges are very easy to remove and inexpensive to replace. Tape the end of a flat head screwdriver and pry off using some dental floss. Clean the residue off with some goo gone and replace with a new 3D badge from "VW Parts" - "Volkswagen Parts" - Parts and Accessories Catalog. (approx $25). Search 'sign' on their site. The 06+ badge fits nicely.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
What about the plasti-dip that people have written about?
Threads suggest that it works and is removable?

Also I've seen old posts where the vinyl inserts were being sold, haven't seen any lately though.

thanks
Not a clue about either. CoriBug has found even a cheaper source it appears.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts