NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon,

Just got my 01 beetle out of the alighment shop without a full alighment, I was quoted over 1100.00 to correct everything.

Front driver bearing howling. (Changing this weekend.)
Front pass. strut bent???
Rear driver wheel out by 3/8" (That is what Computer said.)

Not going to happen.lol Anyway, they said the rear drivers side tire was 3/8" out of alighnment and they could fix it with shims. Does any one know how many shims of what thickness this would require?

Thank you for all of the great support by this community.

01 - 1.8 Turbo.

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
This is a job best left to the pros. The car needs to be on a rack to determine the amount of shims needed. Get the suspension fixed and take it back for alighnment.

·
Registered
119 Posts
How do you bend a strut and does it still function? Would not the strut tower be affected too? Sounds like this thing is really out of wack. It's got to be real hard on alot of things, tires,bearings, axels?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Good afternoon,

Just got my 01 beetle out of the alighment shop without a full alighment, I was quoted over 1100.00 to correct everything.

Front driver bearing howling. (Changing this weekend.)
Front pass. strut bent???
Rear driver wheel out by 3/8" (That is what Computer said.)

Not going to happen.lol Anyway, they said the rear drivers side tire was 3/8" out of alighnment and they could fix it with shims. Does any one know how many shims of what thickness this would require?

Thank you for all of the great support by this community.

01 - 1.8 Turbo.

$1100!!! WOW!.....You can try a small independent repair shop for better price on the wheel bearing and the strut. The Wheel bearing and the strut replacement can be done as a DIY project at a much reduced cost. The all wheel alignment for my car was $100. I can't imagine the rear fix with shims being very much more.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Gotta go with "jbremount"; the front wheel-bearing kit is only $38 (Volkswagen New Beetle 1.8T > Drivetrain > Bearings > Wheel Bearing Kit > ES#252011 Wheel Bearing - Kit, Front - 1J0498625) and the front struts are about $60/each (Volkswagen New Beetle 1.8T > Suspension > Shocks > Front > ES#261020 Strut Assembly - Priced Each - 1J0413031AG).

As to the shims for the rear suspenion, "2004NBTURBOS" has it right; that's a job best left to the professionals. Still, I'd be surprised if a properly-equipped shop would charge more than $200 to align the rear suspension... :cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts