NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had trouble getting the headrest mechanism to unlock when you press the small button. I have one that no matter how hard I push with finger, screwdriver, or even squeeze with pliers, it will not release. So...needless to say, I can't pull it out to put the back seat down without putting the passenger's seat all the way forward and tilting it forward some. This is on a '98 NB on the passenger's side. I can do most anything on the car mechanical, but this little thing has me stumped! If anyone has any tricks, short of cutting into the seat, I'd love to hear it. Thanks!!!

·
Lurker Status Assumed.
858 Posts
my headrests dont have little buttons (as in they broke off at some point in its previoius life), so i always use a pair of pliers to squeeze.

problem is, that always works for me, so sorry to be of no help.

maybe your squeezing the wrong place? thats all i can think of. squeezing mine pops em out in a jiffy.

·
Catch me riding s00ty!
3,981 Posts
I can't get my two front head rests to come down at all. I have coaxed and prodded and pushed and pulled. I'm sort of little and they're sort of up tall and it makes for less than comfortable driving. This is an old post but is there any new advise?

HOLY THREAD BUMP BATMAN!!

Did you press the button on the side of the headrest?

·
Registered
285 Posts
HOLY THREAD BUMP BATMAN!!

Did you press the button on the side of the headrest?
Yep! (and sorry) I didn't want to make a new thread if one existed already :)

This is the front two seats though, not the rear. Same problem though. I'd really like to get this resolved prior to my road trip in three weeks to Georgia (1107 miles each way)

·
Catch me riding s00ty!
3,981 Posts
Yep! (and sorry) I didn't want to make a new thread if one existed already :)

This is the front two seats though, not the rear. Same problem though. I'd really like to get this resolved prior to my road trip in three weeks to Georgia (1107 miles each way)
Its ok, I'm just surprised a thread from 2005 didn't close.

Yes, the button to put the headrest down.... is on the side of the Headrest itself, not at the base.

That picture is from a modded jetta, but its the same on a Beetle.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Its ok, I'm just surprised a thread from 2005 didn't close.

Yes, the button to put the headrest down.... is on the side of the Headrest itself, not at the base.

That picture is from a modded jetta, but its the same on a Beetle.
I don't think I have a button? *runs out to check*

Nope... done checking. No buttons on Lucy for the head rest (no cool dvd player either for that matter lol)

·
Catch me riding s00ty!
3,981 Posts
I don't think I have a button? *runs out to check*

Nope... done checking. No buttons on Lucy for the head rest (no cool dvd player either for that matter lol)
Oh... thats weird... Just for the sake of seeing your car again, you did check both sides of the headrests right?:eek:

·
Catch me riding s00ty!
3,981 Posts
Oh, and which headrest do you have? The Donut (big hole in the middle) or the brick (no hole)?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Oh... thats weird... Just for the sake of seeing your car again, you did check both sides of the headrests right?:eek:
Yep, no buttons to be found. She has a little doohicky that is apparently made to remove the headrests and they can come out but they don't lower any more than what they are. I'd like them all the way down. I actually need them all the way down.

·
Catch me riding s00ty!
3,981 Posts
Oh, thats weird. My final idea is a game. Yes, a game.

Lets play. HEADREST SWAP!!

You have to go in your car and check to see if the Rear Headrests are possibly in the fronts (and vice versa) The Correct Front Headrests should tilt forward too.

This happened to us on are last few SUVs (not including the Expedition that has one huge seat with no moving headrest)

Ready.... Set.... (when you read this and have time) GO!!!!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Oh, thats weird. My final idea is a game. Yes, a game.

Lets play. HEADREST SWAP!!

You have to go in your car and check to see if the Rear Headrests are possibly in the fronts (and vice versa) The Correct Front Headrests should tilt forward too.

This happened to us on are last few SUVs (not including the Expedition that has one huge seat with no moving headrest)

Ready.... Set.... (when you read this and have time) GO!!!!
I never thought about that... I'll go look. :)

Well, the front ones are apparently either not the right ones or something the metal support bars are MUCH longer than the back ones. The ones from the back are now in the front and DH is hacking off the bottom of the long ones for the back.

·
JYD, Peppy Pepper, Rico,
596 Posts
Me too

I have the same prolbem on my 1998 bug.. the head rest is stuck up no matter what I use to push or pull the botton. SO i guess I will check this again later or meet up with somone in roswell to help... Just know that you are not the only one with this problem..LOL

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have the same prolbem on my 1998 bug.. the head rest is stuck up no matter what I use to push or pull the botton. SO i guess I will check this again later or meet up with somone in roswell to help... Just know that you are not the only one with this problem..LOL

It was nothing a hacksaw couldn't fix. I would like some reassurance I won't die in a crash now though :eek:

·
Registered
199 Posts
You have my personal assurance that you will not die in a crash now.

There don't you feel better already:eek:

·
Registered
595 Posts
ZOMBIE THREAD!!! OH NOES!!!! :eek:

(But seriously, I figure it's better to revive this one and keep all the info in one place than to create a new one...)

First, for the record: the metal support bars on the front headrests are supposed to be much longer than the bars on the rear ones. Shortening them with a hacksaw was probably not the best way to fix the thread hijacker's (Lov3Bug's) problem... all it did was (probably) make it impossible to lock the headrests into place. The real issue was probably something blocking the hole in the seat that they slide into.

Second, I'm having the same problem with my as the O.P. (RoughRedBug) with my rear, '98 (doughnut-style) headrest. In trying to fix it, I've so far learned the following:

• the little black button (which is on the plastic trim of the hole the headrest post slides into, not on the headrest itself) can be pried off without breaking.
  • The button is designed to be pressed from the front, not "squeezed" (unless you're talking about squeezing from the front and back)
  • The plastic button is U-shaped, and its two prongs press on metal tabs located on either side of the post (but separated from it by the plastic sleeve it slides in)
  • Each metal tab is the top of a (spring-loaded) lever, which pulls a catch near the bottom of the sleeve (pushing the top of the lever towards the rear of the car moves the catch towards the front, releasing the headrest post)
  • Both levers must be pushed for the catch to move enough to release the post
  • There doesn't seem to be anyway to access the mechanism (e.g. remove the whole thing, headrest and all) from the seat back) short of entirely ripping apart the upholstery. The back cover comes off, but there's a solid metal frame underneath and you can't get to the guts of the seat that way.
So, my problem is this: instead of being springy, my tabs remain pushed all the way back (in what would be the "released" position if the mechanism were working properly). Nevertheless, the catch won't release. The tabs can be moved manually with needle-nose pliers, but doing so hasn't fixed anything (loosened something stuck, etc.) I've also tried simply pulling forcefully on the headrest hoping to dislodge it (permanently), but that hasn't worked either.

Any ideas on what else to do? Specifically, I'd like to know how the headrest post sleeve attaches to the seat back (is it glued in, bolted, etc.?) and/or how to remove the seat back from the car and disassemble it without the use of a utility knife.

·
Returning senior member
285 Posts
Head rest release guide assmbly...

ZOMBIE THREAD!!! OH NOES!!!! :eek:

(But seriously, I figure it's better to revive this one and keep all the info in one place than to create a new one...)

First, for the record: the metal support bars on the front headrests are supposed to be much longer than the bars on the rear ones. Shortening them with a hacksaw was probably not the best way to fix the thread hijacker's (Lov3Bug's) problem... all it did was (probably) make it impossible to lock the headrests into place. The real issue was probably something blocking the hole in the seat that they slide into.

Second, I'm having the same problem with my as the O.P. (RoughRedBug) with my rear, '98 (doughnut-style) headrest. In trying to fix it, I've so far learned the following:

• the little black button (which is on the plastic trim of the hole the headrest post slides into, not on the headrest itself) can be pried off without breaking.
  • The button is designed to be pressed from the front, not "squeezed" (unless you're talking about squeezing from the front and back)
  • The plastic button is U-shaped, and its two prongs press on metal tabs located on either side of the post (but separated from it by the plastic sleeve it slides in)
  • Each metal tab is the top of a (spring-loaded) lever, which pulls a catch near the bottom of the sleeve (pushing the top of the lever towards the rear of the car moves the catch towards the front, releasing the headrest post)
  • Both levers must be pushed for the catch to move enough to release the post
  • There doesn't seem to be anyway to access the mechanism (e.g. remove the whole thing, headrest and all) from the seat back) short of entirely ripping apart the upholstery. The back cover comes off, but there's a solid metal frame underneath and you can't get to the guts of the seat that way.
So, my problem is this: instead of being springy, my tabs remain pushed all the way back (in what would be the "released" position if the mechanism were working properly). Nevertheless, the catch won't release. The tabs can be moved manually with needle-nose pliers, but doing so hasn't fixed anything (loosened something stuck, etc.) I've also tried simply pulling forcefully on the headrest hoping to dislodge it (permanently), but that hasn't worked either.

Any ideas on what else to do? Specifically, I'd like to know how the headrest post sleeve attaches to the seat back (is it glued in, bolted, etc.?) and/or how to remove the seat back from the car and disassemble it without the use of a utility knife.
I had a similar problem with my right rear head rest. There is an inner sleeve that guides one side of the head rests support pillars down into the seat back that breaks sometimes. If you pull the head rest all the way up by pressing on the release button and then push down the seat backs top around that release tab you will be able to release a retaining clip that holds the plastic sleeve in. You can pick up a new one for about $10.00 to $13.00 now days. The VW part number is 1jO-886-920-D-B41 for that "guide". If you are real nice this can even be done in the dealers driveway by a helpful service rep. You just need a small flat head screw driver to release the retaining tab. You might have to really put some muscle into trying to raise the head rest up to it's maximum level but it can be done. I hope this helps clear up your problem. JK

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
Yes, on donut headrest beetles, at least with cloth seats, the front headrests don't sit all the way to the seat back when down. there should be a good 2 inches or so still showing when they're all the way down.

I actually liked it like that. I thought it looked cool, but I guess its not for everyone.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts