VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to get my wife's 2001 1.8t inspected in MD. All passed except the right rear running lamp on the fender. Though it was just a bulb, but find that there is no wire, socket, or harness present. Reached around and didn't feel it hanging anywhere.

Question, what is this part called? Does it home run all the way to the engine, or is there a junction box somewhere. How much "stuff" do I need to take apart to fix this. Is there some reason the previous owner would have removed this wire?

TIA

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Those lights use a bulb holder that has socket for the bulb on one end and a connector that attaches to the wiring harness on the other. The terminals in the bulb holder corrode and fail, so the previous owner probably didn't want to spend the $15 or so to get a new one. I'll bet the wiring harness is somewhere loose inside the fender. You may need to remove the wheel well liner to find it.

The socket is part #7 in this diagram:

VOLKSWAGEN BEETLE [BE] (USA) 2001: ELECTRICS: 94500. TAIL LIGHT; SIDE MARKER LIGHT; REAR FOG LIGHT; REVERSING LIGHT

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Long delayed, but thank you, I did find the harness.. WAYYY in the fender. Rigged up the glove box light to pass inspection. Now on to a new thread and a more annoying problem

1 - 3 of 3 Posts