VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
I installed a backup camera on my wife's 2003 NBC with a tag frame mounted camera. It appears that someone wanted that $18 camera so bad that they tried to steal it. Currently there are Torx screws that screw into the rubber bumper.

Has anyone found a good method for installing anti-theft fasteners to these bumpers? Since it is very difficult to get to the inside of the bumper I cannot use the typical locking fasteners that I find online.... I did see some screws with the locking fastener that require a security hex tool, but it seems that screws are just not that secure since they cannot be tightened enough to prevent unscrewing them with pliers.

Thanks for your input!!

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
Not sure if there is anything you could do other than screws without accessing the other side of the bumper. If you did, then I would use a carriage bolt and a nut on the back side. Would take way to much work to get that off to steal a camera IMO.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,412 Posts
They could have wanted the plate. We had one stolen once. We use security torx screws now. No issues since (though we have moved out of that neighborhood since the plate was stolen haha) and we have no issues getting them tight on the plate.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
14,832 Posts
I think I'd like to add some secure screws on my plates. I catch myself checking to see if they are there every day. Don't want anyone stealing my DNYED plates! :mad:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies! I may find some anti-theft security screws...I see them online...does anyone know what size screw that is that comes from the factory to hold the plate??

I also read where others have used a "well nut" with a anti-theft security nut. Supposedly they carry them at Lowes, but I have not looked. With the "well nut" you drill into the bumper deep enough for the well nut and then it expands to tighten against the rubber bumper and creates a very firm hold. That probably creates a much tighter grip than a screw...

Slowdog

·
5/23/10 <3
11,412 Posts
Autozone, etc. should sell the security screws. I think they're all a standard size. We got ours from an auto parts store. No issues with them being tight.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you're serious about maximizing the security, I would remove the bumper cover and install using carriage bolts from the outside with nuts/washers on the inside. I seriously doubt anyone will go through the hassle of removing your bumper cover to get the camera.

I say this because almost regardless of what type of security fasteners you get, they're still removable from outside the car.
Nearly every auto parts and tool store sells security fastener bits. Lots of people have them. Besides, I have yet to see a security screw that I couldn't get out with a small chisel and a hammer to get it to turn out far enough to grip with pliers or vice grips to finish the job.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies! I understand what you are saying, security screws would only hinder a thief and perhaps take more time and cause more visibility than they want. All good ideas and information....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts