NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.. I see from the old bulb I took out of the rear tail light, that the bulb style is #7528. Of course my local hardware store didn't have this number so upon comparing the heck out of the old bulb, and the standard 1157 double filament bulb, I couldn't see any difference.

In fact, the 1157 fit right into the socket on my beetle and works just fine.

Should I be scared? Anyone else find that a standard 1157 works just fine?

TIA

bent

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Is your NB a 2003+? VW did change the bulb type for the brake lights, I'm running the same # you are in my '00.

-Des

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys.. yes my NB is a 2000. I have to admit, every mechanic I know absolutely loathes VW products, so I wanted to be sure that the rear tail light assembly wasn't going to catch on fire or something because I'm using a standard North American bulb.

thanx again..

bent

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Most hate them because they use non-standard ways of thinking to accomplish a task. That means more work for them, which you would think they'd like. The place that put my spoiler on, which took them 5 hours, said he won't work on another VW wihtout charging a $250 convenience fee because of how complex they are (he had to repair a broken window regulator in a 2000)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts