NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Beetle Convertible
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I'm having an issue with the passenger rear quarter window not going up completely into the track in the side of the convertible top frame. There is a groove in that frame that the glass is supposed to go into and its pushing out slightly as it goes up. I have to physically pull on the glass as its going up to get it to go into that groove. Otherwise the passenger door doesn't shut right since the door glass wants to hit the rear quarter glass due to the deflection caused in the rubber weatherstripping. Is there a way to adjust the quarter window itself so it stays more inward as it goes up?

·
Registered
13,038 Posts
Your window regulator; maybe on the way out and possibly need replaced, the window regulators go out on these cars pretty consistently, as they age (not a matter of if but when).
Here is a video, going over the installation and adjustment of the regulator. Maybe, a adjustment; might fix the issue or the regulator maybe in failure mode. vw sells window regulator repair kits or you can purchase the whole window regulator (more expensive).

Here is a tech bulletin on the rear window regulator with reference to the window not going all the way up, caused by Window regulator cable retainer breakage and a overview of the regulator replacement process:

Let us know, what your inspection, possible adjustment, troubleshooting results are and we can go from there. Thanks.

·
Registered
2007 Beetle Convertible
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@billymade Ok thank you for all the detail and link to the video. My problem started directly after the replacement of the top itself. I did not have this trouble with the previous top. I was thinking something got out of alignment with the top frame but came to the conclusion that nothing changed with the frame as it looks identical to the drivers side and that section is pretty darn stiff.

Edit - I'd like to include that the window does not have a problem going up or down, its just that it bows outward due to the track it wants to take based on the weatherstripping around the frame. I can take a short video later if needed to demonstrate this.

·
Registered
13,038 Posts
Hmmm, who did the top replacement and how long ago, was it? I suppose you could contact the shop that did the work and see if they can help you? I don't know if it was related to the top replacement or it could just be a coincidence and the regulator is in failure mode, needing replacement or a window adjustment? We have heard of members here and people I know in my area; that have had to replace, all the window regulators in their convertible new beetle's, so you are not alone (the earlier normal sedan models had recalls on the regulators; as the plastic window retaining clips would break). Needless to say, my own car, the many posts here and the offical tech bulletins, are proof of one of the most notorius issues on these era of new beetle's (window regulator failure). Based upon the service bulletin info; it looks like the convertibles, had their own unique problems with the front and back window regulators, replacement parts needing to be installed to resolve problems. More research, adjustment or disassembly for inspection of possible damage; is probably required. Keep us updated, as you work through your visual inspections, troubleshooting and repairs, as this info can help the next person with similar issues. Thanks.

·
Registered
2007 Beetle Convertible
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@billymade Will do, thanks. I did the top replacement myself. Labor was insane if I were to pay someone else to do it. I did it for just the cost of the top ($699) and the zipper tool ($90). I already had the rivet gun and associated rivets and other tools needed. I can assure you, nothing was done to the window or the top frame itself so there is no reason the window path would have changed.

I found the genuine VW repair part #1Y0898292 on the site you linked in another post (oemepc.com - thank you for that by the way). I found both the driver and passenger side for $150 total vs the whole entire regulator which was going for around $700 apiece. I will report back here with results but may not get to it for a month due to timing and shipping times.

I was not aware the window regulators fail often. I knew about the door actuator switches which I already replaced in both doors as the auto-down window function to clear the convertible top frame failed.

·
Registered
13,038 Posts
Yeah, I have installed the repair kits on the front; on a convertible and on the normal sedans. The hardest part is getting the cable back on the pulley; a pair of needle nose pliers and using the "bicycle chain" method, of getting it back on, is doable but a second pair of hands, is helpful. I am impressed you tackled the convertible top replacement; if you successfully did that, I don't think installation of the repair kit, should be a issue. On replacement parts; I would confirm, you are getting the correct ones based on your VIN #, the oempc site is good and you can confirm, by calling your local VW dealer or using the vw parts site @ parts.vw.com (input your vin #; then, the parts will be correct).

You are one of the few people around here; that have tackled the top replacement! Good work; it would be great, if someone would document this replacement process and give feedback, on which replacement top brand/source they used.
Sadly, I see a bunch of new beetle convertibles for sale and many are really cheap, as most seem to need new replacement tops, inevitably the material around the rear windows are pulling away and eventually will fall out. Maybe top replacement; is "doable" yourself, if you get over the intimidation factor? Let us know; how things go, thanks! :)

·
Registered
2007 Beetle Convertible
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate the comments! I am an avid garage mechanic. I've pulled motors and transmissions and completely restored my 98 Honda Civic as a project car (back to a new stock feel, not a typical racer). The convertible top seemed like a gargantuan task based on what I've seen and read but I figured what the heck, I'll give it a shot! It was easier than I made it out to be in my head, the biggest trouble I had was the fact that EZ-ON makes their own tops differently than the OEM version. I hit some snags where the window connects as well as the sides where the straps are. The zipper part where a lot of people get hung up on was super easy provided you have the zipper tool. I tried a zipper tab i pulled off of an old jacket, what a waste of time that was. Other than that, it looks like a brand new car now since the paint is in excellent condition.

I'm only replacing parts with genuine VW parts as well. I've noticed there are a dozen knock-off brands for everything you can find. Whoever had the car before me did a ton of DIY stuff and they cracked the door panels and broke off screws so I'm finding I have to do a lot of work just to get it back to a stock condition. What fun!

·
Registered
13,038 Posts
Yeah, I don't know, what it is about VW's but I have seen, so many hacked repairs, odd mods in attempts to "fix" things, most of these hacks take more work, then actually repairing things correctly and they always seem to use the cheapest junk aftermarket parts for replacements. Non oem parts, on German cars; is a failure prone approach to begin with and much of the troubleshooting we do on this site, is from people installing non oem parts and then, things don't work right or the part fails, prematurely, many times right out of the box! :( Sometimes, you can get lucky but why set yourself up for more possible failures? Fix it once and fix it right; I say, make the potential success of a repair, as high as possible, many repairs are not fun..... why have to redo it again, if you don't have to?

Most parts are best bought genuine VW or buying the oem brand, that made the part for VW. In the long run, if you are going to keep the car and use it as a reliable daily driver or just want to be able to rely on it not stranding you somewhere, you act SAVE money going with oem quality parts. Some people just don't get it but from what we see around here; it PAYS off, to get quality parts, to repair these finicky German cars! :) As if things are not a challenge enough; to keep these old Volkswagens on the road as it is, cheap parts are just shooting yourself in the foo! :) I say anything to reduce the brain damage of fixing these cars and reduce challenge of addressing all the many repairs, that are needed, is a GOOD thing! :)

·
Registered
13,038 Posts
By the way, there are some good repair videos on youtube; showing the installtion of the repair kits, for the rear windows... these might be helpful, to review, before you install them.

·
Registered
2007 Beetle Convertible
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
By the way; there are some good videos on youtube, showing the installtion of the repair kits, for the rear windows... these might be helpful, to review, before install them.
Thank you! I've been scouring youtube for everything so far, there is a lot of helpful stuff on there! I used 2 videos from there for the top replacement, one was done completely in spanish which was my main go-to. Luckily my S.O. can translate!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts