NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
my rear red marker light is out on my beetle, ave no idea how to get to the bulb
Thread search rear fog , find an install thread (many around here, one in the How-to Forum), and basically do the light assembly portion in reverse to access the bulb. :)

Are you sure it's the bulb (I guess changing it will confirm), and not a switch or wiring issue, as this was a post build mod. You may have an OEM knock-off switch and this may be the problem also.

M.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Sorry, I misunderstood. What your asking was just in a thread last week. I'll find it and post the link in a minute.

I posted both the DIY/How-to from that Org Forum, and what is shown in the Bentley. The Bentley does not offer an updated version of the diagrams for the newer body style, but does include the tightening torque and sequence for the inner wheel liner which is indicated as needing to be removed. I have the current most currrently available Bentley DVD-ROM, with all current updates, and the paper Bentley '98-'08, no other information is available.
http://newbeetle.org/forums/photos-new-beetles/53040-hyakugojyuuichis-2006-harvest-moon-beige-tdi.html#post763287

Probably not what you wanted to hear (removing the wheel liner to change a bulb). Maybe someone else around here knows a short cut for removing the late model corners.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, I misunderstood. What your asking was just in a thread last week. I'll find it and post the link in a minute.

I posted both the DIY/How-to from that Org Forum, and what is shown in the Bentley. The Bentley does not offer an updated version of the diagrams for the newer body style, but does include the tightening torque and sequence for the inner wheel liner which is indicated as needing to be removed. I have the current most currrently available Bentley DVD-ROM, with all current updates, and the paper Bentley '98-'08, no other information is available.
http://newbeetle.org/forums/photos-new-beetles/53040-hyakugojyuuichis-2006-harvest-moon-beige-tdi.html#post763287

Probably not what you wanted to hear (removing the wheel liner to change a bulb). Maybe someone else around here knows a short cut for removing the late model corners.
thats ridiculous if i have to remove the liner

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
:dunno: I'm simply the messenger!

That's what it says for the earlier models too, but if you read the "How-to" people are prying them out of the bumpers on the pre '06 models, my luck something would break on the light assembly or worse, the bumper would tear...

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Do you know that? Sounds to easy for anything NB! :)

·
New Beetle Dude
75 Posts
Geez, I'm kinda scared to go prying and pushing on it....afraid I might break it and have to drive around with the dang thing hanging out or cause me anymore repairs.... guess I'll just wait and hopefully the other side marker will burn out too and then it won't look so bad at night ;) hahaha

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
It is held in by a clip. On the left marker you push with a screwdriver to the left and the right side should pop out. On the right side/passenger side marker you push from left to right and the left side should pop out. Here is a Y tube video which should explain it better. The only thing the poster of the video forgot to mention is the direction of the spring depends of the location of the marker. Hence the left marker you push left to get the right side to pop out and the right marker your push right to have the left side pop out.
Simple ;) 2006 Volkswagen Beetle\Side Marker Bulb Replacement 2006 VW Bug - YouTube

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
It is held in by a clip. On the left marker you push with a screwdriver to the left and the right side should pop out. On the right side/passenger side marker you push from left to right and the left side should pop out. Here is a Y tube video which should explain it better. The only thing the poster of the video forgot to mention is the direction of the spring depends of the location of the marker. Hence the left marker you push left to get the right side to pop out and the right marker your push right to have the left side pop out.
Simple ;) 2006 Volkswagen Beetle\Side Marker Bulb Replacement 2006 VW Bug - YouTube
Watched all that, then watched this one after

VW AC Control Functions - YouTube

Who didn't know that :lol:

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Watched all that, then watched this one after

VW AC Control Functions - YouTube

Who didn't know that :lol:
WOW, Das ist Gut!. Klima-Anlage im Handschuhfach. Total Genial. Next time I will put my Klondike bars in there. :D I know I don't have that feature but soon it will be cold enough here in Indianapolis where it won't be required and I can enjoy my Klondike bars anytime of day, whereever I drive.
Totalles Fahrvergnügen. ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Don't try to pry!

Old thread, but could save you a trip to the dealer for a new marker light. Most say to pry on the red lens opposite the metal spring. I tried this and had no luck. Felt like I was going to break something. If you lay on your back and look up behind the fender liner, you will see the light and spring. Just reach your hand up there and compress the spring tab. The light will pop right out! No screwdriver, no tape to protect the paint, no trip to the dealer.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Old thread, but could save you a trip to the dealer for a new marker light. Most say to pry on the red lens opposite the metal spring. I tried this and had no luck. Felt like I was going to break something. If you lay on your back and look up behind the fender liner, you will see the light and spring. Just reach your hand up there and compress the spring tab. The light will pop right out! No screwdriver, no tape to protect the paint, no trip to the dealer.
Wow. Wish I would have known that before I actually pulled the lens off the light housing. Didn't have the means to fix at the time so I duct taped the lens on to the body. When my daughter brought the car home for Thanksgiving break, I took it all apart, cleaned it up and glued it back together. But alas, I clamped it too hard and cracked the lens. Oh well - she wants a Mini so I think the NBC is going away next summer.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts