VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,

I have been looking at a new beetle convertible for my wife and my occasional use. I drove a coupe at the DC Auto show in the R Line trim and loved it. I found a convertible and was ready to buy until I tested the rear seat. It gave me back pain after sitting in it for 5 minutes.

I later brought my wife and kids who are ages 10 and 9 and all found the seating position of the rear seats to be very uncomfortable. In contrast, the coupe's rear seats were better as were those of the EOS.

To me if there was a seat cushion, it would make a world of a difference since there is plenty of leg room.

I figured I would look and find a if there were any beetle owners that could help with any advice. There is a beetle we really like but unfortunately this is a deal breaker.

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Regards,
Loay

·
Registered
758 Posts
I've pulled the rear seats out of our 2005 NBC and found them to be very thin. The seat backs, in particular, are likely very different than in the NB because of the roll-over protection system in the convertible. And yes, I find the rear seats uncomfortable in the convertible, but I rarely ride back there since I usually drive if I'm in the car.

If you're looking for a used car, I'd recommend a Pontiac Vibe. We take our 2004 Pontiac Vibe on long trips because it gets good highway mileage (about 36 mpg). When we bought it new, we found it to have more legroom in the rear seats than most cars in its class. The rear seats in the Vibe are definitely more comfortable than in our 2005 NBC. These days, you can find a Vibe fairly cheap since Pontiac isn't a brand name anymore. The other upside to the Vibe is that the drivetrain is Toyota, so it tends to be a very reliable car. It's sister vehicle is the Toyota Matrix, which tends to cost more used because of the Toyota badges. Sitting inside them, you'd hardly notice the difference between the two except for the radio and the color of the interior lighting (Pontiac is red and Toyota is blue).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've pulled the rear seats out of our 2005 NBC and found them to be very thin. The seat backs, in particular, are likely very different than in the NB because of the roll-over protection system in the convertible. And yes, I find the rear seats uncomfortable in the convertible, but I rarely ride back there since I usually drive if I'm in the car.

If you're looking for a used car, I'd recommend a Pontiac Vibe. We take our 2004 Pontiac Vibe on long trips because it gets good highway mileage (about 36 mpg). When we bought it new, we found it to have more legroom in the rear seats than most cars in its class. The rear seats in the Vibe are definitely more comfortable than in our 2005 NBC. These days, you can find a Vibe fairly cheap since Pontiac isn't a brand name anymore. The other upside to the Vibe is that the drivetrain is Toyota, so it tends to be a very reliable car. It's sister vehicle is the Toyota Matrix, which tends to cost more used because of the Toyota badges. Sitting inside them, you'd hardly notice the difference between the two except for the radio and the color of the interior lighting (Pontiac is red and Toyota is blue).
Thanks! I am interested in a convertible and the new beetle convertible perhaps with a solution to make the rear seat more comfortable. If not possible, then I am basically moving away from the NBC as you put it which is unfortunate because otherwise it would be an excellent choice especially with the TDI engine.

Regards,
Loay

·
Registered
758 Posts
I don't see how you could make the rear seats comfortable without some sort of custom interior work. Our New Beetle Convertible is quite a fun little car to drive around town, but for long trips, we take our Vibe. The Vibe is much, much quieter and comfortable on the highway and gets better mileage than the 2.0 liter gas engine in our NBC. A TDI NBC would get better mileage on the highway, but isn't going to solve the noise and comfort issues for long trips.

Again, the NBC has a very different rear seat design due to the rollover protection system. There are "rams" built into the rear seat backs and headrests which extend if the vehicle rolls over. This means there is less space in the seat design for cushioning. Here is a picture with the rollover protection system in the deployed position: http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/uploads/19.jpg

·
Registered
67 Posts
Rear seats in any VW Convertible? Not for adults, or even kids.

If rear seat is what you need, try this, or a big American Coupe Convertible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts