NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife bought this car from the dealer new in august of 2002.She loves the car except that around 35 mph the rear spoiler automatically deploys.The wind noise is terrible and if your in the back seat you might as well stop talking with the person seating next to you because you can't carry on a conversation.The noise in the front is not as bad but its still very deafning.We talk to the saleman and we were told that the 2001 turbo and sport model rear spoiler was set to deploy at around 75mph. This was done for a safety issue to make the rear end hold better at high speeds.We were then told that most customers that have these models complained since they did not keep a steady 75mph or above speed that they wanted the spoiler to stay up.we were then told that the "VW" engineers redesigned the auto deployment of the spoiler to come up at around 35 mph.I was trying to find out if there is a way to keep the spoiler from coming up at all,say pull a fuse,unhook a connecter, etc.The safety issue if we were told correctly would not be a problem if in fact the earlier models didn't deploy until 75 mph and my wife has never had this car over the posted speed limit.I know what your thinking why buy a pickup truck when your only going to haul a loaf of bread back from the store.The saleman who was checking into this for us was to get back with us and upon calling and leaving a friendly reminders and not hearing any thing, my last call into him I was told he no longer works for the dealership.When we took the car back for its 1st service check they gave us a loaner which was a brand new 2003 beetle turbo. I put my wife in the back seat and at about 35 mph the spoiler deployed and the conversation ceased.I have not talked to anyone else with the same model and year as this car so any help would greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
A couple things.

The deployment speed for the 1999-2001 models was about 93mph. The deployment speed for the 2002+ is about 48.

As for the wind noise. That should have nothing to do with the spoiler deploying. In fact, if anything, the wind noise should decrease when the spoiler is deployed.

However, there are a couple things you can do/try as far as changing the deployment speed. You could swap spoiler motors with a 1999-2001 1.8t. This would cause yours to not deploy until 93mph. You could also get a tailwagger, available at http://www.lupine.com/tw/. With this module, you can set the deployment and retraction speeds at anytime.

There are instructions somewhere for disabling the auto-deployment feature. It will cause an idiot light on the dash that will always be on. But that is an option. Not sure of where the instructions are, but a search either here or on the old forums (forums.newbeetle.org) should find it.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
11,013 Posts
I can't understand how it would get loud inside. Do you have a sunroof? If you have the roof open ALL the way it gets too noisy. Try opening the roof only to the dark circle. Hope this helps.

·
Performance Freak
137 Posts
If it's horrible wind buffetting, that's from the sunroof and unrelated to the spoiler. With the windows closed, only open the roof to one notch before fully open. (this is stated in the owner's manual) With the windows open, you can open the roof all the way.

To reduce the noise of the spoiler going up/down, you can lubricate it often, using grease or WD40, which I use. Apply it to the track when the spoiler is up. (use the button under the dash by your left knee to raise/lower it manually)
I have the tailwagger programmer, and my spoiler goes up at 35 and down at 5mph, and I rarely even notice the sound.

·
Car has another home
111 Posts
I have a '01 Sport and traded my spoiler motor with a friends '03 Turbo-S, Works fine, up around 45-48 mph and down around 8-10 mph. I have never had any wind noise problem caused by the spoiler.
The SunRoof will cause wind noise depending on the setting and speed traveling.

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
i have a turbo-s and my spoiler is so loud, that people think we had a wreck when it goes down. i have used wd-40, lithium grease, monkey juice.. i made the last one up. i just got used to it.

jd

·
175 Posts
You can just disconnect the power supply plug to the spoiler motor and it will be disabled but you will have a steady spoiler light illuminated on the dash. Open the back hatch and unscrew the two philips head screws in the two handles on the inside . Then just pull hard and the inner hatch cover pops out . The spoiler motor is on the right side and is obvious. Just unplug it and that's it. If you want the spoiler to stay up all the time or down just do this and it will stay that way.

·
Registered
8 Posts
spoiler deployment

have you tried to just disconnect the manual turbo switch from under the dash?
the dash light might remain on but cost no $$ and easier than removing your rear hatch lip to access your motor.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
NBturboS said:
have you tried to just disconnect the manual turbo switch from under the dash?
the dash light might remain on but cost no $$ and easier than removing your rear hatch lip to access your motor.
The control for the spoiler is actually in the rear motor. I don't believe disconnecting the switch under the dash would help anything, other than disabling the manual mechanism to deploy it. Also, in order to disconnect that, you must crawl under the dash, remove that panel and disconnect.

Not that difficult. But neither is removing the back hatch panel. Between the two, you actually have better access to the hatch panel than you do the panel under the dash.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts