NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
look on the cover plate below the steering wheel( the big gray plastic one) down toward the bottom is a rocker switch. Flip the swicth and the spoiler will stay up. It is easier to see if you kneel down outside the car and look at the panel. The switch is small and hard to reach sitting in the seat.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
look on the cover plate below the steering wheel( the big gray plastic one) down toward the bottom is a rocker switch. Flip the swicth and the spoiler will stay up. It is easier to see if you kneel down outside the car and look at the panel. The switch is small and hard to reach sitting in the seat.
Yea, I know about the switch. I want it to stay up all the time.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
I suppose you can put t up and pull fuse 35 in the fuse panel to kill power to the spoiler motor. That may effect your sunroof if you have one as they are interrelated on the wiring diagram.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I suppose you can put t up and pull fuse 35 in the fuse panel to kill power to the spoiler motor. That may effect your sunroof if you have one as they are interrelated on the wiring diagram.
I thought about trying to unplug the switch after I put the spoiler up ???

·
Registered
56 Posts
I did this to my wife 01 glx i removed the covering from the hatch top aront the motor. then had someone let it up and i just removed the wire to the motor... done and done if you do it at the switch it still goes down again.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i did this to my wife 01 glx i removed the covering from the hatch top aront the motor. Then had someone let it up and i just removed the wire to the motor... Done and done if you do it at the switch it still goes down again.
thanks !!!

·
Senior Member Sponsor
1,345 Posts
Here is something you may be interested in.

Go to Technical How to forum.

Page 2

Fowvay's post, "How to" Manual Spoiler Mod.

I think this is what you want.

Keep on Buggin':)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here is something you may be interested in.

Go to Technical How to forum.

Page 2

Fowvay's post, "How to" Manual Spoiler Mod.

I think this is what you want.

Keep on Buggin':)
GREAT !!! Just what I was wanting to do !! Got up this morning and in about 15 minutes I was done doing this mod. Now if the poster would tell how to get rid of the spoiler light on all the time all would be well in NB land.

·
Registered
56 Posts
lol its gonna stay on sorry unless you wanna take apart the dash and put tape on it. My wifes one is on too unless there is some kind of pressure switch under the spoiler that activates it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol its gonna stay on sorry unless you wanna take apart the dash and put tape on it. My wifes one is on too unless there is some kind of pressure switch under the spoiler that activates it.
If you go to the How to section the orginal poster says he would show how to cover the bulb, not the cluster per-say.

·
Lucille
21 Posts
Do I have a spoiler?

Just bought a 2001 1.8T. It looks like it has every available option. There's no mention of a movable spoiler on the original dealer window sheet but it also says this is a 5 cylinder. I find no toggle switch under the steering wheel/column.

·
squirreljuice
388 Posts
I find your post contradictory. There was never a 1.8t with a five cylinder. Are you sure that its a 2001 1.8T turbo? Because the 2.5 engines weren't made for at least a couple model years after that one. If its truely a 2.5 mis marked as a 1.8t, you wont have one.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Just bought a 2001 1.8T. It looks like it has every available option. There's no mention of a movable spoiler on the original dealer window sheet but it also says this is a 5 cylinder. I find no toggle switch under the steering wheel/column.
You can hear it activate at 45 and you should see it as a black band just above the rear window.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Anybody had issues with it going down? I used the switch to get it to move up, but now it won't go down and just makes a rat-tat-tat noise when you use the switch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have an '03 beetle turbo and my rear spoiler has recently gotten stuck in the open position so of course I have the annoying light on on my dashboard. the switch under the steering wheel isn't doing anything for it and the fuses aren't blown so I don't know what's wrong..could it be the gears within the spoiler or something???

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
My other VW is a VW
141 Posts
Anyone know how to make a uk spec rear spoiler open earlier
If I remember correctly the 2000 & 2001 went up at 80MPH and the 02 and newer goes up at 80KPH (aprox 45MPH). I am pretty sure it is controlled by the ECM, I just don't know if it can be recoded

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts