VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I posted this question on another member's thread but thought it might get more response if I posted it as a separate thread . . .

I purchased a rear spoiler from exotictruck-auto on e-Bay to find out it won't fit my NB even though it says it will. The body shop we scheduled to paint and install spent quite a bit of time trying to figure a way to modify it to fit but had no luck. Has anyone else had this problem when purchasing a spoiler from e-Bay or have any ideas as to how it can be modified to fit? I have posted a pic from the eBay seller site below. I have tried to contact the seller to return the spoiler but can get no response. :mad:

Here is the description:
VW New Beetle "Boomerang Style" rear spoiler fits 1998-2006. This is the same exact spoiler you will see in the new Volkswagen dealers. We sell this spoiler to the new VW dealers. Part number ET679A

Attachments

·
Premium Member
611 Posts
Looks just like mine. Mine was a little uneven (body shop wouldn't install it). I had them paint it for me and then lined it up and installed it myself.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WNAB911 said:
Looks just like mine. Mine was a little uneven (body shop wouldn't install it). I had them paint it for me and then lined it up and installed it myself.
I'm not sure its the same... it looks like your wing's legs are verticle and my wing's legs are more horizontal. Or is that because of the angle maybe that the picture was taken at? What was the Part No stamped on your box? My box had a Part No. 1785 stamped on the box then that was marked out with a felt tip marker and the number 1679A handwritten on the box. My instructions were for a completely different wing and didn't say anything about using markers, as a matter of fact, the instructions were just drawings, no text. At the top of the instruction sheet it says "Top Blow Molded Spoiler" but the pictures show a spoiler nothing like the one I bought.

·
Premium Member
611 Posts
I didn't even get a box! and my direction were for a wing with a third break light! Yours looks a little different, but the install has to be pretty similar. did they give you two sticker type gasgets for the legs?

·
Get in.Buckle Up.Hang on.
6,525 Posts
1. It's NOT the same spoiler. See how the legs on WNAB911 go to the edge of the trunk?
2. Never seen this wing sold by VW, on-line or by VW catalog.
3. VW would never allow another company to advertise/sell their 'OEM' items on e-Bay!

·
Premium Member
611 Posts
Mine was listed as an "OEM Style" wing on Ebay. Your legs are definatley at a different angle and pushed in. Mine were on the outside of the deck lid. I didn't even have to remove the door panel.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WNAB911 said:
I didn't even get a box! and my direction were for a wing with a third break light! Yours looks a little different, but the install has to be pretty similar. did they give you two sticker type gasgets for the legs?
Yes I have those but the problem is that the outside edge of the legs do not fit flush with the car. There is probably 1/4 inch of daylight between bottom of leg and trunk hood. I can see where if there were just a slight space that tightening the leg down would solve it, but don't think with that much space it would work... :confused:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
WNAB911 said:
Time to break out the dremel! Take a bit off the edge.

:D
We thought about that but my husband says the wall is too thin to cut off enough to make it fit. So he's trying to figure a way to build up the outside instead - maybe fiberglass????

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
WNAB911 said:
how about a little epoxy just to fill th gap?:confused:
Sounds logical...I'll suggest that to my husband...Thanks!

·
RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!
2,063 Posts
Keimax4h said:
I purchased a rear spoiler from exotictruck-auto on e-Bay to find out it won't fit my NB even though it says it will.

Here is the description:
Here a pix of my spoiler that came from exotictruck-auto.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SPIRU said:
Here a pix of my spoiler that came from exotictruck-auto.
Yep, that's the one I have. Did you have any trouble with the fit? The legs are horizontal underneath, not verticle, right? Did you install or have it done? Did you buy already painted or have painted?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.