VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 Beetle Turbo S . My rear spoiler doesn't go up while driving but works manually. Any suggestions ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just recently had it inspected and had to install a CAT. I think once they reset the code for the CAT they would have mention any other codes that might have come up. But i can always have it re checked. Thanks

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Well, in the case of the spoiler; we are dealing with the VW proprietary factory trouble codes and not generic obd II codes. So, in that situation; you need a VW specific scan tool: check out the VAG 401 or Foxwell NT500 on amazon or VCDS by Ross Tech. With those, you can do output testing and look at any trouble codes, specifically related to the rear spoiler .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey I finally got my Bug Re Scanned and they did not find any error codes. My question is at what speed does the spoiler come up on a 03? I read on some models its over 45mph and 80mph. I had it over 80 already and i haven't heard it come up. I see the yellow indicator light come on when i use the switch to raise the spoiler while parked but I never seen it on while driving.Also does that yellow light indicate that the spoiler is up while driving over the specified speed?

·
Gustav
349 Posts
I see the yellow indicator light come on when i use the switch to raise the spoiler while parked but I never seen it on while driving.Also does that yellow light indicate that the spoiler is up while driving over the specified speed?
The light does not come on unless there is a manual activation of the spoiler or if there is a problem with the spoiler.
How do you know the spoiler is not activating it's self?
Your 03 should deploy at speeds of 45 and above.
Earlier models deployed at speeds over 90 mph that is when it is needed but VW realized that most owners never achieved these speeds and set the speed to 45mph.

·
Gustav
349 Posts
How can you manually raise the spoiler
There is a switch located next to the ECM port. While sitting in the drivers seat with the ignition on but car not running side your hand along the left hand side just where the dash rolls under to the underside.
You should feel it if not get a flashlight and stick your head under and take a look. It is a flat rectangular switch with a raised bump on it.

Also in the future if you have questions, please start your own thread unless you are having the same issue as the thread you are posting on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't hear it deploy. I guess i will have someone follow me to see if it is or not. This weekend I hit 100mph and notice the Spoiler light come on. When I parked the spoiler was up. After shopping I came back to car, spoiler still up, started the car , light was still on and drove a few blocks and the spoiler retracted and light turned off.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts

·
Hired Gorilla
29 Posts
There is a switch located next to the ECM port. While sitting in the drivers seat with the ignition on but car not running side your hand along the left hand side just where the dash rolls under to the underside.
You should feel it if not get a flashlight and stick your head under and take a look. It is a flat rectangular switch with a raised bump on it.

Also in the future if you have questions, please start your own thread unless you are having the same issue as the thread you are posting on.

No such switch on mine.... Yes it's a 1.8T... Yes it has the spoiler... it's a 2000 model

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts