NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a clunky noise when I hit bumps on road (even small ones).
Since I'm upgrading to new shocks/springs or maybe coilovers next summer. I'm just ordering these parts for now from ECS tuning :

-Rear upper shock mounts.
-Rear bump stops.

The problem is that the rear bump stops are just listed under the golf MKIV category and I'm not sure if they will fit my NB.
Can someone help me before I order please?
Thanx

Here is a pic of the parts:

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
You may have to trim the bumpstop to fit, that shouldn't be a problem. The clunk is very likely your upper shock mount (or more precisely, the bushing in the mount wearing out).

I doubt you'll actually need new bumpstops.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
noR said:
You may have to trim the bumpstop to fit, that shouldn't be a problem. The clunk is very likely your upper shock mount (or more precisely, the bushing in the mount wearing out).

I doubt you'll actually need new bumpstops.
Good news.

Can't believe what the local VW dealer told me : I need new shocks, new springs, bump stops, shock mounts and rear axle bushings :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Oh sure... y'know, we've got a new model right over here, you might be interested in THAT instead?

Dealerships rutinely hire just-out-of-high-school type 'techs'. Sure some are serious and can trouble shoot, but it seems the vast majority, even with the access to vw engineers, just throw parts at the problem at the customer's cost.

·
Klicky-Klunker
3 Posts
Clunky Suspension-Can you help me [lot]

Hi:
My 2000 Beetle rear shocks bottom out or better yet top out, I put on standard New Monroe Shocks and shock mounts. After I installed the new shock mounts it decreased the banging somewhat.
I don't think the shock is long enough as it will extend all the way when hitting a bump, I guess (coming out of the bump) and bangs the new shock mount.

Has anyone ever come across a problem like this. It used to be so bad at times (before I replaced the new shock mounts and strut bumpers) you would just wanna get out and walk.

PS:The front struts acted the same way. I replaced bumpers on top of the strut like this poster did and it seems that the clunking in the front has calmed down.

No lowering kit has been on this Beetle, it's just stock struts and shocks.

Anyone have any suggestions? Help!!!

Also while the car is jacked up, the exhaust pipe header coming down by the heat deflector is soooo close it hits and raddles. So I guess that means, ah I don't know what that means!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good news.

Can't believe what the local VW dealer told me : I need new shocks, new springs, bump stops, shock mounts and rear axle bushings :mad: :mad: :mad:
i heard the same thing from my local VW Dealership as well here in Des Moines. Ended up changing rear shocks and the upper shock mounts and my clunk went away. Now for the exhaust rattle:(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts